Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Another idea...

Sawdust...I generate loads of the stuff! What to do with it, in a creative
way of course?

Idea...

Turn a shape from inexpensive wood (pine?)

Coat the shape with glue of choice.

Cover completely with saved sawdust/shavings from Walnut, Mahogany, etc.
May take a few coats to get it completely covered.

Spray down with lacquer or finish of choice. Several coats may be necessary
in order to stiffen the covering.

return to lathe and sand, most likely starting with a fine grit and working
backwards in order to not take away ALL of the coating. The form may have
to be recoated a few times and re-sanded in order to get an even coverage.

In my minds eye, I can see this creating a unique texture on the form. By
first painting the shape (black lacquer?) and then using tape to define
narrow lines to separate the glue spaces, I think interesting designs are
possible?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Like you, I've been saving turned shavings, curlies and sawdust in
ZipLok bags. It's amazing how many colors there are in woods.

I've got a different use for them in mind - a tongue in cheek poke
at one of the Art Speak terms used to describe a piece. What used
to be called holes became "negative space" and in one description
of a piece, "the presence of abscence".

I want to do a piece that's made from the "abscence" titled
The Abscence of the Presence of Absence/ I'm thinking of
a simple, plane would plate - with small piles of different colored
wood shaving and sawdust - artfully arranged - and nicely
juxtaposed of course. And it will be an Interactive Transient Piece
- a sneeze or cough easily changing The Work. The title of course
will ultimately change to The Answer My Friend, Is Blowing In The
Wind.

Great Wild Hare Idea you've come up with. Beats Black Gesso.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bob & Charlie,

As always, you two come up with interesting and innovative ideas. For
speaking art to the high class Southern Art market maybe I'll turn a
pine plate, leave it empty and title it "Gone With the Wind". My friends
wouldn't get it anyway so no need to bother with chips and curls.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea? VQ Home Repair 16 November 20th 17 04:14 AM
Lowering Lathe Speeds With A Rheostadt. OK idea? Bad idea? KIMOSABE Woodworking 7 February 19th 09 05:30 PM
Good Idea - Bad Idea Carl Metalworking 0 December 16th 08 04:56 PM
Any idea what this is and what it's for ? cynic UK diy 0 December 12th 07 01:33 PM
Brilliant Idea or Dumb Idea charlie b Woodturning 10 September 24th 06 03:18 PM