Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default stav turning revisited...

I'm cheap...no, really, I am. I absolutely hate tossing ANYthing away!
Consequently, my workshop has a multitude of small pieces of wood laying
EVERYwhere. I often find uses for them along the way. Recently there was a
discussion on Stave Turning that peaked my attention. Having purchased
quite a bit of wood from Ebay that arrived as a square, I have a fair sized
pile of "square donuts", the excess left over from cutting a "round" on the
band saw. After the Stav Turning thing was firmly anchored in my head, I
saw these "donuts" in a whole new light. They consist of 4 corners (90
degree) with a slight inward curve on one side. Measuring out from the 90
degree corner equally on two sides and connecting the marks gives me a
triangle with a 90 degree corner and two 45 degree corners. Eight of these
gives me what I need to turn a nice bowl/hollow form, etc.

On the lathe, as I type, is just such a project (glue drying on the end
pieces) made from two "'donuts" of Flaming Box Elder, 2 1/2 inches thick.
Once the triangles were cut, I decided to add some interest to the thing by
inserting a piece of 1/4" spalted Poplar between each of the glued 45 degree
angles. The Poplar has spalted to an almost black/very dark brown color. I
must say, the resulting blank appears to have much promise. I'll post some
pictures in a few days when it's finished, or, maybe later today! I am the
impatient type.

ANY day I find a method of using waste wood is a good day!

Bob Crawford

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Here are a few pics of the finished Stave turning. I've learned a LOT doing
this and already have another finished. However, I learned that, when
gluing the pieces together, positioning them OUTSIDE as opposed to INSIDE
makes a HUGE difference in the finished piece!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSCN0593.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSCN0594.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSCN0596.jpg

Off I go to learn some more!

Bob Crawford

PS Here is a Cherry Burl, my first burl, that I finished a few weeks ago...

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSCN0603.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSCN0607.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSCN0609.jpg

"Bob Crawford" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thank you Ted.

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...ar_Rider_2006/

Bob Crawford

"Ted" wrote in message

[...]

Very nice.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Really nice work !!!
I know what you mean about all that wood piling up. I worked for a home
builder for ten years and every day I brought home lumber and building
materials ,it got so bad I had to build a 12 x 12 shed . I still need
more room cause now I have logs and bowls every where ,I just can't stop
turning ,,does it ever stop ???

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke