Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Bowl Startled - Scurries Away

It frustrates me that the things I turn, which while being created are
so dynamic, end up being static when I'm done. So I've been
investigating ways to add actual movement in the finished piece.

I found another possibility - at Radio Shack of all places. For $12.95
I picked up what is either a small robot or a large micro-bot with eight
legs. When the the switch is moved to ON - it scurries off, sort of
crab like, for 2 to 3 seconds and stops. After 30 seconds to a minute
it scurries off again - some time turning left, sometimes continuing
foreward, sometimes backing up. And sometimes it stops and just sits
there - until a sensor onboard detects vibration - a tapping near it, or
the sound of a hand clap. That sets it off and it scurries off. Kind
of like a roach - that moves sort of like a crab - a bit creepy.

So I'm thinking of working this critter into the pedestal of a piece -
basically out of sight.

Imagine a small light, delicate piece you're looking at - suddenly
scurrying away at a sound or a tap the table it's sitting on. And by
the time you get someone else's attention and try to explain what you
just saw - it stops and sits still - for a while.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Good idea, when you have it figured out let us all know.

Could scare the life out of unwelcome visitors, or just imagine a burglar
seeing this, he is likely to just get out quick as he can. Great laugh.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

radio shack cat # 60-404

hexbug has a website that you can apparently orfer from

www.hexbug.com

I've no affiliation with RS or Hexnug - just find these little
critters interesting - and maybe applicable in a future turning