Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default A Christmas Story

The Arts Alliance had it's annual sale Saturday. There was a nice
crowd. A woman whom I had met once came by my table and began looking
at my bowls. She picked up a magnolia bowl and just fell in love with
it. Her husband came up and she introduced him and showed him the
bowl. She was fondling it and told him "I want this bowl". He look at
it briefly and said "But we're on a budget right now".

She put it down and he walked off down the room where several people
were looking at some pottery. She kept picking up the bowl and
admiring it. It was a nice bowl. There was a black area on one side
and I had filled in a defect with black epoxy with turquoise and brass
chips. She would pick it up and caress it, put it down, and pick it up
again.

Then as she put it down again another lady walked up and looked at it
and said, "That is a nice bowl. How much is it?" I told her $60 and
she said I'll take it. The first admirer was shocked and I didn't know
what to say, but a sale is a sale, so I took her money, put it in a
bag, and thanked her. She left, and the first lady wandered down a
couple of tables to look at some pens.

I really felt bad until her husband strolled by again and whispered
behind his hand, "That's a sneaky way to buy a Christmas Present!"

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 06:25:24 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

Wow.. how cool is that?
Good story, bro..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Indeed. Drives me nuts to go shopping w/my wife and have her show me
things she wants. Can't just up and buy them on the spot.

Too bad Gerald didn't post a photo of said bowl...

....Kevin

mac davis wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 5:25:24 -0600, Gerald Ross wrote
(in message ):

I really felt bad until her husband strolled by again and whispered
behind his hand, "That's a sneaky way to buy a Christmas Present!"

sneaky, yes... but good for several Husband Points

tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 11:26:35 -0900, Kevin Miller wrote:

Indeed. Drives me nuts to go shopping w/my wife and have her show me
things she wants. Can't just up and buy them on the spot.

Too bad Gerald didn't post a photo of said bowl...

...Kevin

My biggest problem on gifts for the wife is sneaking a sale in every once in a
while and not telling about it (until later)
Can't use credit cards 'cuz she pays the bills, so has to be a cash thing if I
want to surprise her..