DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Whie O rings (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/249506-whie-o-rings.html)

Arch May 10th 08 01:48 PM

Whie O rings

No answer yet to my question re a source of white O rings. Maybe because
it was considered hijacking. If so, I'll apologize and ask in a separate
thread. Anyone know of a source of light colored O rings
Maybe for medical or scientific instruments.

BTW, I've heard that fluorocarbon rings can produce carcinogens when
heated. Unlikely, but are there any known risks from contact with wine,
vinegar, etc?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

John May 10th 08 02:28 PM

Whie O rings

In message , Arch
writes
No answer yet to my question re a source of white O rings. Maybe because
it was considered hijacking. If so, I'll apologize and ask in a separate
thread. Anyone know of a source of light colored O rings
Maybe for medical or scientific instruments.

BTW, I've heard that fluorocarbon rings can produce carcinogens when
heated. Unlikely, but are there any known risks from contact with wine,
vinegar, etc?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

I know you can get white and ivory orings, as i have seen them used on
pressure connectors of a similar size to the stoppers, but unfortunately
cant cite a source. The ones i saw were in avionics, but you can get
just about any size you want in various colors, maybe a Hydraulic or
Pneumatic or even Bearing stockist,

--
John

[email protected] May 10th 08 04:41 PM

Whie O rings

Hey Arch!

I don't have a specific source, but I was really surprised when I
Googled 'silicone o rings'.

Here's a link. I didn't cite a source as some of these guys are
selling a few at a time, and some selling large quantity only. Some
are food grade, some are temp graded, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/5v2hkt

So whatcha makin' ?

Robert

Arch May 10th 08 06:27 PM

Whie O rings

Hi Robert, Thanks. Just messin' outside the box as usual. For
stoppering, cork has its problems and to me, steel seems cold and
'inorganic' for a nice bottle of wine. I thought to turn the entire
stopper from wood, finish the 'cork part' with something foodsafe, shiny
and resistant, but not metallic with black O rings.

Thousands will differ, so? :)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

William Noble May 10th 08 08:29 PM

Whie O rings

try any of the following

MSC
Graingers
orings.com
http://www.afmusa.com/?gclid=CLeakt3VnJMCFRgziQodhBmfyw
www.applerubber.com
www.oringswest.com
www.marcorubber.com/oring_guide_old.htm

\

Lobby Dosser May 10th 08 11:46 PM

Whie O rings

(Arch) wrote:

No answer yet to my question re a source of white O rings. Maybe
because it was considered hijacking. If so, I'll apologize and ask in
a separate thread. Anyone know of a source of light colored O rings
Maybe for medical or scientific instruments.

BTW, I've heard that fluorocarbon rings can produce carcinogens when
heated. Unlikely, but are there any known risks from contact with
wine, vinegar, etc?

Assuming you mean some variation of teflon ...

Supposedly chemically inert up to about 400F. Lots of warnings about the
use of Teflon pots and pans around pet birds as the birds are reputed to
be highly sensitive to the gases released. There has been a lot of
controversy over this, but we have two parrots and do not use any teflon
just to be safe. Since it is chemically inert below 500F, I doubt there
would be any problems with wine, etc. However, I am NOT a chemist.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

William Noble May 11th 08 05:05 AM

Whie O rings

lots of substances besides teflon can be white, and teflon is rarely used as
an o-ring - it doesn't have the right properties. there are silcone
compounds in any color you want, for example - but I did post a few salient
links earlier today

[email protected] May 12th 08 01:45 PM

Whie O rings

On May 10, 8:48*am, (Arch) wrote:
No answer yet to my question re a source of white O rings. Maybe because
it was considered hijacking. If so, I'll apologize and ask in a separate
thread. Anyone know of a source of light colored O rings
Maybe formedicalor scientific instruments.

BTW, I've heard that fluorocarbon rings can produce carcinogens when
heated. *Unlikely, but are there any known risks from contact with wine,
vinegar, etc?

Turn to Safety, *Arch * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Fortiter

A good source of biologically inert o-rings is

http://www.class-vi-o-rings.com

The rings sold there are of a material that has gone through a careful
testing process to assure that the materials do not have dangerous
properties and that they material doesn't release harmful chemicals
when heated or used in contact with a variety of solvent materials.

Bill Rubenstein May 12th 08 02:46 PM

Whie O rings

Add to that list www.mcmaster.com. Use o-ring in their search box, then
page down for color selection.