Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Seek online pix of wood grain for aok and beech

Where online can I view detailed pictures which show the wood grain,
patterning and colour?

I'm interested in flat panels of beech and oak.

(Google and Google Images aren't very helpful.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

I find this site has good pics
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...al.htm#letterB
Click on the thumbnail pic to see an expanded selection.

Cross posting will limit your responses, especially on RWW as many
users have filters to eliminate crossposting as it is mostly spam. You
may want to repost to each group separately.

Art

"John" wrote
Where online can I view detailed pictures which show the wood grain,
patterning and colour?

I'm interested in flat panels of beech and oak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

John wrote:
Where online can I view detailed pictures which show the wood grain,
patterning and colour?

I'm interested in flat panels of beech and oak.

(Google and Google Images aren't very helpful.)

I guess I could put a sheet of oak on the scanner for you..:-()

It worked with balsa..

Beech is as dull as ditchwater grain wise. Thats not its best feature.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:09:47 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Beech is as dull as ditchwater grain wise. Thats not its best feature.

Do you _ever_ post anything that's not Drivel?

European Beech is one of the most distinctive UK timbers you could find
- it's one of the few that most woodworkers can easily recognise
accurately. Just look for the little dark flecks from the rays.

http://www.efi-costarica.com/image-files/beech.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

On 2008-03-11 15:52:01 -0500, John said:

Where online can I view detailed pictures which show the wood grain,
patterning and colour?

I'm interested in flat panels of beech and oak.

(Google and Google Images aren't very helpful.)

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/#letterB

Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Beech is as dull as ditchwater grain wise. Thats not its best feature.

Do you _ever_ post anything that's not Drivel?

All the time. I spent most of this winter splitting beech logs.

Its a fine grained wood, very little variation in grain at all . Nearly
as dull as birch.

European Beech is one of the most distinctive UK timbers you could find
- it's one of the few that most woodworkers can easily recognise
accurately. Just look for the little dark flecks from the rays.

http://www.efi-costarica.com/image-files/beech.jpg

Exactly. Dull as ditchwater.

I never said it wasn't distinctive, I said it was dull.
Its distinctive by its dullness.

Now next time try and address what was actually written, and not get on
some personal vendetta, and spout off about what your prejudices thought
someone had posted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

On Tue 11 Mar 2008 21:22:17, AJH wrote:

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:52:01 GMT, John wrote:

Where online can I view detailed pictures which show the wood grain,
patterning and colour?

http://www.john-boddy-timber.ltd.uk/species_az.htm

leads to:

http://www.john-boddy-timber.ltd.uk/...primecrown_whi
tebeech_a.html
http://www.john-boddy-timber.ltd.uk/...oak_euro_clear
crown_b.html

which have panels of wood

AJH

Wow, I never knew there were so many variants of these woods. Thank you.