DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   segment ring question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/221297-segment-ring-question.html)

Jerry - OHIO November 16th 07 09:30 AM

segment ring question

Can I run glued up ring in my plainer if I use a sled ?
Or would cross grain throw it at me like the 1in. strip of pine with a
knot I ran on edge that went into cement block wall ?

Jr

Ralph E Lindberg November 16th 07 01:33 PM

segment ring question

In article ,
(Jerry - OHIO) wrote:

Can I run glued up ring in my plainer if I use a sled ?
Or would cross grain throw it at me like the 1in. strip of pine with a
knot I ran on edge that went into cement block wall ?

Jr

I will bet cross grain tearout will be an issue.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

robo hippy November 16th 07 04:30 PM

segment ring question

A planer might work, but I would be worried about tearout, and the
ring just blowing up. If you have a drum sander, that will work a lot
better.
robo hippy

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found athttp://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

DJ Delorie November 16th 07 04:58 PM

segment ring question

A glued-up ring is very fragile, because all the glue joints are
end-grain joints.. I would think it would explode in a planer, but
I've never tried it myself. I use a 12" disk sander (on the lathe) to
true one face, then true the other, after it's glued on, with a gouge.

mac davis November 16th 07 05:59 PM

segment ring question

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 04:30:09 -0500, (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:

Can I run glued up ring in my plainer if I use a sled ?
Or would cross grain throw it at me like the 1in. strip of pine with a
knot I ran on edge that went into cement block wall ?

Jr

My brother runs his through his planer, on a sled, AFAIK..
If you'd like more info, send me an email and I'll send you his addy..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Nova November 16th 07 06:30 PM

segment ring question

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
Can I run glued up ring in my plainer if I use a sled ?
Or would cross grain throw it at me like the 1in. strip of pine with a
knot I ran on edge that went into cement block wall ?

Jr

I wouldn't try it. If you have a drill press take a look at the "Safety
Planer":

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3189

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

ebd November 16th 07 07:36 PM

segment ring question

I've researched this a bit. Beside the fragility and tearout issues
there is the problem of snipe unless passed through on a sled of some
kind. The other major problem for me was that either a planer or
sander was high cost. I can't justify $500 for the amount I would use
the tool.

I've used a 3/4" router mortising bit in the drill press and the
safety planer and both work acceptably, if a bit slow. The solution I
finally came up with works wonderfully well and is fast. I mount the
ring in my Cole jaws, true one side, flip it and true the other.
Sometimes I true only the first side then wait till it's glued up and
then true the other.

turnerbob November 17th 07 12:56 AM

segment ring question

On Nov 16, 4:30 am, (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:
Can I run glued up ring in my plainer if I use a sled ?
Or would cross grain throw it at me like the 1in. strip of pine with a
knot I ran on edge that went into cement block wall ?

Jr

Hi Jerry, The best way to flatten rings is with a performax. I've seen
plans on the net for building one.
Next best would be a disc sander. That works well but you can't get an
even thickness unless your very careful.
Before I had a performax I used to flatten rings with a 12" disc stuck
to a piece of countertop. This method is slow but it works fine.
I've also glued the ring to a plywood disk mounted on a faceplate and
trued them on the lathe. Just start with a thicker ring.
I tried the planer method but that didn't work well at all. Lots of
tearout.
Bob
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com

[email protected] November 17th 07 06:29 AM

segment ring question

Hi Jerry
I would use a sander, I have a link here for a V-drum sander you can
build yourself, pretty low cost and works very well.
These people do the wood shows and have sold these sanders for years,
also a good place for abrasives.
No affiliation, just good products and service.

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.php

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Jerry - OHIO November 17th 07 09:47 AM

segment ring question

Thanks for the info.

It gave me a great idea,now where is that rolling pin & old tread mill
the old lady doesn't use any more.
I see a new tool for the work bench !!!!

Jr.

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/THENORTHCOASTPT

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/Myfavoritejob

Ralph E Lindberg November 17th 07 03:06 PM

segment ring question

In article
,
robo hippy wrote:

A planer might work, but I would be worried about tearout, and the
ring just blowing up. If you have a drum sander, that will work a lot
better.
robo hippy

That's what I use (the sander)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

Kevin Miller November 17th 07 06:19 PM

segment ring question

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
Can I run glued up ring in my plainer if I use a sled ?
Or would cross grain throw it at me like the 1in. strip of pine with a
knot I ran on edge that went into cement block wall ?

Jr

I've always wanted to try that, but believe that it would wouldn't work
in a particularly spectacular way. So, if you do decide to try it, grab
your camcorder and post a video to youtube so we can all enjoy the
excitement from the safety of this side of a computer monitor. :-)

I've long wished I had one of those benchtop drum sanders for just such
a task. I true up the rings on the lathe which does OK, but it would be
nice to have a drum sander to do a final pass with like this one:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...s=2042&pcs=fam

Just can't justify the $540. Not that that ever stopped me before.
Hmmm, where's that checkbook?

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Owen Lawrence November 18th 07 04:24 AM

segment ring question

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article
,
robo hippy wrote:

A planer might work, but I would be worried about tearout, and the
ring just blowing up. If you have a drum sander, that will work a lot
better.
robo hippy

That's what I use (the sander)

I actually sanded the edges of a 19-sided glued cylinder today. I clamped
my belt sander upside down on the bench and sanded to the carefully drawn
ring I pencilled around it. It worked nicely.

- Owen -