Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default 0.1- 00.1- 000.1- 0.00. Are micrometers turning tools?

Numbers are important in woodturning, no doubt about it. Exs.: accurate
and repeatable grinding angles, heights of finials and depths of feet,
rules of thirds, and carets of the golden rule. No less necessary to
determine accurately are composition of finishings, length, width and
depth of flutes, percentage of cobalt, on and on. That said with an
abundance of caution, agreed with and disclaimed:

As I see it, woodturning for pleasure is mostly an intuitive endeavor.
Many of us in our working lives deal with numbers used in measuring
something, whether in sales, computers, carpentry, machining, teaching
or preaching. The freedom to turn a blank without weighing it or marking
it off or knowing its exact rpm or worrying about a classical form, not
to mention concern about a superior's opinion is a satisfying change of
pace; truly recreational without adding another problem away from work.

There is a world of difference beween a bit held rigidly in a cross
slide driven precisely by a longitudinal screw and a gouge held in a
hand and freely squeezed and waved around, in and out, up and down along
a tool rest. Likewise there's a difference in information programmed
into a CNC and the free association of mind to gouge. Who said
proprioception? Laser guides, copying devices, form tools or a felt
need to sell our work are each a bit iffy, but since they don't detract
from our satisfaction too much, they are allowed.

As I said, precise and accurate measurements are important, but I
suggested that's not always so. BTW, exactly what percentage of one
standard deviation of you guys agree with me? Come on now, 0.001% can't
be right.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Which turning tools to go with? Dan Apt Woodturning 53 January 22nd 06 04:26 AM
Micrometers on eBay... WF Metalworking 0 July 18th 05 04:31 PM
Pen Turning Tools Ken Jarvie Woodturning 1 January 20th 05 01:20 PM
FS Turning Tools James E Gaydos Woodturning 0 November 21st 04 08:10 PM
Craftsman Turning Tools Alan Van Art Woodturning 9 September 24th 04 12:06 AM