Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Looking for a used lathe?

Hello all,

In the process of searching for a motor to power my "new" turret
lathe, I ran across a guy who also offered me a 1918 Oliver wood lathe
with a 15" swing and 36" between centers for $200, ready to run. He
said he'd also toss in a motor to power it.

I haven't seen it, but he says it's in good shape, and I have no
particular reason to doubt him. It's in the Twin Cities area of
Minnesota, and if anyone is particuarly interested, I'd be happy to
put you in touch with the guy- cheap used lathes with that kind of
capacity aren't always very easy to come by.

I'd almost get it myself, but I'm pretty happy with my Delta, and the
old Foster metal lathe I'm restoring is a monster and a half. Of
course, some of you may be appalled to hear this, but I'm thinking 2
tons (give or take) of turning iron is probably enough for me for now!
(That, and let's face it, *moving* lathes is just not all that fun...)

So, if anyone is interested, e-mail me off-list at
Prometheusatcharter.net, and I'll give you the guy's e-mail address.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

depending on the particular oliver, you may find that the spindle thread is
1 1/8X8 - not a problem, but not common, so you will end up making your own
adapters and stuff (I have faceplates in that size, but I don't think you'll
find chuck adapters and stuff as easily)