Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Is Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde wood common?

I cut up a piece of crab apple; the main trunk just before it split into 4
trunks.

One half is very light and porous; I would call it willow if I didn't know
where it came from.
The other half is heavy and solid; pretty much what you would expect from
crab apple.
From the outside they looked to be the same.

Is something like this common? Anyway to determine it before cutting? I am
just lucky I cut it in half on the axis I did.

I have turned one bowl from the light side. Terrible tearout and it would
have absorbed as much LBO as I threw at it, but it turned out nicely. I am
hoping the hard half will be even better.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Toller" wrote in message
I cut up a piece of crab apple; the main trunk just before it split into 4
trunks.

One half is very light and porous; I would call it willow if I didn't know
where it came from.
The other half is heavy and solid; pretty much what you would expect from
crab apple.
From the outside they looked to be the same.

Is something like this common? Anyway to determine it before cutting? I
am just lucky I cut it in half on the axis I did.

I have turned one bowl from the light side. Terrible tearout and it would
have absorbed as much LBO as I threw at it, but it turned out nicely. I
am hoping the hard half will be even better.

Brown rot? Common in trees that are pruned. Apple is as prone to it as
cherry. When it gets to the point of cubical rot, the wood's absolutely
unusable.

White rot eats lignin, so you develop structural problems earlier in the
process than with brown, a cellulose-eater.

Sound wood is always easier to finish.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:01:04 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I cut up a piece of crab apple; the main trunk just before it split into 4
trunks.

One half is very light and porous; I would call it willow if I didn't know
where it came from.
The other half is heavy and solid; pretty much what you would expect from
crab apple.
From the outside they looked to be the same.

Is something like this common? Anyway to determine it before cutting? I am
just lucky I cut it in half on the axis I did.

I have turned one bowl from the light side. Terrible tearout and it would
have absorbed as much LBO as I threw at it, but it turned out nicely. I am
hoping the hard half will be even better.

Maybe you have some burl effect?

A friend brought me a couple feet of walnut in the form of about a 15" diameter
trunk piece..
Made 2 bowls, one from each half of the log, and the color and grain is so
different that folks don't believe me when I tell them that they're both from
the same piece of trunk..
Good news is that they were both gorgeous wood..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Hyde Park Village Condo For Sale [email protected] Home Ownership 0 March 19th 07 01:22 AM
See anything common here?? Rono Electronics Repair 0 July 28th 05 12:45 AM
Hyde "Wet And Set" Plastering Product For Very Large Gaps: Anyone Ever Use ? Robert11 Home Repair 2 July 14th 05 02:54 PM
Common is common? invntrr Metalworking 2 December 14th 04 08:59 PM
simple common wood question AArDvarK Woodworking 26 April 29th 04 05:31 PM