Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Help - Betwixt and Between

I'm a relative newby to turning and have a problem for which I don't see an
easy solution.

I've just turned a bowl which is 6 1/2" in diameter but with a 4" opening.
The bowl is finished and it is now time to part off the tenon/spigot. My
problem is that my OneWay 4-jaw chuck doesn't open wide enough to hold the
bowl by its opening, and the Jumbo Jaws don't close small enough to hold it
by the opening. The outside from the opening on top to the sides is too
high to be caught by the rubber jaws on the outside.

What is a reasonable solution? Some sort of jam chuck on a spur and hold
the tenon by the tail stock while I part it off?

Thanks.

George (another one)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

George wrote:
I'm a relative newby to turning and have a problem for which I don't see an
easy solution.

I've just turned a bowl which is 6 1/2" in diameter but with a 4" opening.
The bowl is finished and it is now time to part off the tenon/spigot. My
problem is that my OneWay 4-jaw chuck doesn't open wide enough to hold the
bowl by its opening, and the Jumbo Jaws don't close small enough to hold it
by the opening. The outside from the opening on top to the sides is too
high to be caught by the rubber jaws on the outside.

What is a reasonable solution? Some sort of jam chuck on a spur and hold
the tenon by the tail stock while I part it off?

Thanks.

George (another one)

I have run into the same problem. That's when I dust off my original
reversing "chuck" that I thought I would never use again when I bought
a set of cole jaws.

I made it of two plywood discs about 12 inches in diameter. The first
is mounted on a faceplate, turne round on the lathe and padded on the
surface with non-skid carpet underpad. The second disk is attached to
the first with three stove bolts and wing nuts equally spaced around
the perimeter. The second disk has a hole in it to fit around the base
of the bowl (actually I made three different ones with different
diameter holes) so that the tenon or chuck recess can be finished off.
I stapled a piece of the carpet pad to the inside of this disk and
made radial cuts in it so the shoulder that presses against the bowl
is protected. This hole is also tapered, being larger inside where the
bowl sits.

To use, just invert the bowl on the solid disk, seat the second disk
over the base of the bowl and tighten the three wing nuts equally to
clamp the bowl. I also found it convenient to have sets of different
bolt lengths for different bowl heights. Put the wing nuts on the side
toward the headstock to keep them out of your fingers while spinning.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The difference between the blues and
the blahs is that you can't sing the
blahs. --George Carlin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote in message
I'm a relative newby to turning and have a problem for which I don't see
an easy solution.

I've just turned a bowl which is 6 1/2" in diameter but with a 4" opening.
The bowl is finished and it is now time to part off the tenon/spigot. My
problem is that my OneWay 4-jaw chuck doesn't open wide enough to hold the
bowl by its opening, and the Jumbo Jaws don't close small enough to hold
it by the opening. The outside from the opening on top to the sides is
too high to be caught by the rubber jaws on the outside.

What is a reasonable solution? Some sort of jam chuck on a spur and hold
the tenon by the tail stock while I part it off?

Thanks.

George (another one)

Hello. Use your chuck to turn a jam chuck held in a mortise that will wedge
into the opening in your bowl. Alternative is to make a larger one and
wedge the bowl into the opening in the jam chuck.

Or turn a hollow ring and hot glue the four sections you cut it into onto
the jaws, or use double-stick tape. Then chuck up.

Next time consider a mortise that doesn't have to be re-turned.

Good Name

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:05:15 -0400, "George"
wrote:

I'm a relative newby to turning and have a problem for which I don't see an
easy solution.

I've just turned a bowl which is 6 1/2" in diameter but with a 4" opening.
The bowl is finished and it is now time to part off the tenon/spigot. My
problem is that my OneWay 4-jaw chuck doesn't open wide enough to hold the
bowl by its opening, and the Jumbo Jaws don't close small enough to hold it
by the opening. The outside from the opening on top to the sides is too
high to be caught by the rubber jaws on the outside.

What is a reasonable solution? Some sort of jam chuck on a spur and hold
the tenon by the tail stock while I part it off?

You could do that- though what I've tended to do in the same situation
is either to scoot the tenon forward in the chuck enough to part it
off, or to take it off the lathe entirely and saw off the tenon with a
handsaw. The second solution requires a lot of sanding, but sometimes
that's the way it works out best.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello George (another one)

Welcome to woodturning. The San Diego Woodturners came up with just
the tool to handle the situation that you describe. Actually, it was
designed for hollow forms, but it will work very well for your case. I
hope I can describe it with just words (here is where a picture is
worth a thousand words). Basically, they have a shaft with a Morse
Taper No. 2 on one end to fit into the headstock Morse Taper. The
other end of the shaft has a 1/4" hole drilled in the center to accept
the shank of a sanding pad designed for use in a drill motor. A
tapered cone has a hole in the center that is the diameter of this
shaft. It is slipped onto the shaft and has a hole drilled and tapped
for a set screw that allows it to be secured in place on the shaft.

Now, once this is made if can be used over and over again. The cone
must be larger than the hole in the rim of your bowl or hollow form
and not so long that it bottoms out on your bowl. Slip the bowl over
the sanding pad until it bottoms out in the bowl, bring up the
tailstock to hold the bowl in place, move the cone into the top of the
bowl to center the bowl and lock it in place with the set screw.

Now, turn the foot, except for a small cone where the tail center is
located. After removing the bowl from the mounting, remove the little
nub with a knife or chisel and sand smooth.

The San Diego Woodturners version was a steel shaft and a plastic
cone, but I've made them out of wood with good results. It takes a
little time to make it up, but it will be worth it in the long run
when you turn other items with small openings.

Incidentally, my 2003 book "A Guide to Work-Holding on the Lathe" and
my new book "The Woodturners FAQ Book" should be useful items to have
in your library. They were both designed for the beginner to
intermediate woodturner. The new book will not likely be available
until the latter part of this month. Both books are listed on
Amazon.com. While being commercial, I should mention my magazine,
"More Woodturning". You can see a sample of it at my website.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

On Jun 10, 12:05 pm, "George" wrote:
I'm a relative newby to turning and have a problem for which I don't see an
easy solution.

I've just turned a bowl which is 6 1/2" in diameter but with a 4" opening.
The bowl is finished and it is now time to part off the tenon/spigot. My
problem is that my OneWay 4-jaw chuck doesn't open wide enough to hold the
bowl by its opening, and the Jumbo Jaws don't close small enough to hold it
by the opening. The outside from the opening on top to the sides is too
high to be caught by the rubber jaws on the outside.

What is a reasonable solution? Some sort of jam chuck on a spur and hold
the tenon by the tail stock while I part it off?

Thanks.

George (another one)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

George
You have some good answers here. I often turn a hollow form or a vase that
will not be held by my chuck to turn off the base. On the other hand I
seldom use a chuck but that is not germane to this discussion. I would in
your case attach a piece of wood to a face plate and face it off. Then turn
a tenon that just fits the opening of the bowl. This will center it
automatically. Bring up the tail stock to hold it in place and turn off the
bottom leaving a small tenon. Sand the bottom you can reach. Cut, do not
pull, off the tenon. Sand that area by hand. Sign, finish and admire.
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Yes George a jam chuck.
But an easy one to do, put on the jumbo jaws, and hold a large piece
of wood, turn a shoulder on it so your bowl opening fits on it, put
your bowl on it and hold it there with you're tailstock's live center,
turn the foot down all but the least thin piece in the center, that
you can cut with a knife or chisel after.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo