Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
MGH MGH is offline

Default Delta DL40 electronic problem

Group,

Need help/advise. I am a high school shop teacher. We have a Delta DL40 16"electronic
variable wood lathe. It quit working the other day. I replaced the power
cord, it had more electrical tape than plastic. The cord was replaced with
a lighter gage wire than original (I know mistake).

The lathe and electronics all worked, as it should. After a short period of
use the lathe shut down. I noticed the cord had gotten warm and the lathe
would not restart. I replaced the cord with an appropriate gage wire,
checked the F1 fuse it's good, F2 and F3 fuses soldered to the circuit board
also look good. When the red on/off button is pulled to the ON position a
relay on the circuit board clicks but no LED readout lights on the
microprocessor control panel. I moved the microprocessor control panel to
the alternative location with the same results. We have a second identical
lathe and replaced the microprocessor control panel on the working lathe and
the panel worked fine. Did I fry the electronics by having a to light gage
wire? I looked for a thermal overload button on the motor but haven't found
any. Besides the motor never got warm much less hot. Also, there was never
that hot electrical smell. Any suggestions would be helpful and
appreciated.

Gay

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Gay,

I would suggest that you contact Delta with the same explaniation.
They should be able to guide you to a fix. It is quite possible that
the relay that clicks when the switch is pulled to the on position is
faulty and may have been the problem in the first place rather than
the old power cord. Apparently, it applies power to the system. If a
contact has broken, the relay could activate but not connect power.

The manufacturer would be your best bet.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

On Apr 23, 3:41 pm, "MGH" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Fred Holder" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Gay,

I would suggest that you contact Delta with the same explaniation.
They should be able to guide you to a fix. It is quite possible that
the relay that clicks when the switch is pulled to the on position is
faulty and may have been the problem in the first place rather than
the old power cord. Apparently, it applies power to the system. If a
contact has broken, the relay could activate but not connect power.

The manufacturer would be your best bet.

Fred Holder

What Fred said. You're really in the remove/replace game with modern
boards. Not worth the time and equipment required to repair them. Shake
and sniff troubleshooting is a thing of the past.

From experience in IA, I suggest BX armor for future floor or wall wiring.
Or drops, but no locking plugs if you use 'em..

Delta lathe problem Bill Woodturning 3 December 5th 06 02:15 PM
Baxi Bermuda 45/4 Electronic - Intermittant problem [email protected] UK diy 4 January 22nd 06 12:03 PM
Liftmaster Electronic Eye Problem [email protected] Home Ownership 0 June 22nd 05 01:43 AM
Problem with Potterton Netaheat Electronic boiler -- clicks madly and refuses to start Ian Chapman UK diy 8 December 7th 04 12:10 AM
FA: Electronic Music Machine Kit - Electronic Doorbell, Car Horn - (built, tested) - (one day left) Oprah Electronics 0 August 18th 04 01:33 PM