Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Carrotwood?

Have any of you ever turned carrotwood? I was in Largo, Florida last
weekend watching Bill Grumbine do a demo and he was turning some. I
had never heard of it before but have found that it is a native of
Australia and is considered an invasive species. Bill said that it
turned quite nicely.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Dick

The Carrot tree wood question has come up once or twice before that I
remember, there is a little info and a picture of a small bowl in the
turning archive of Wood Central, if you go there, put in "carrot" as
the seed word and you will get there.

There are 2 species of carrot trees, one comes from Australia and
neighboring New Guinea, and one from South Africa, where it is aka
Geel Wortel Boom, literally translated (Yellow Root Tree) both are
fairly small trees, that's all I have on info, and btw it is an
invasive species in Florida.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 29, 10:56 am, "Olebiker" wrote:
Have any of you ever turned carrotwood? I was in Largo, Florida last
weekend watching Bill Grumbine do a demo and he was turning some. I
had never heard of it before but have found that it is a native of
Australia and is considered an invasive species. Bill said that it
turned quite nicely.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have any of you ever turned carrotwood? I was in Largo, Florida last
weekend watching Bill Grumbine do a demo and he was turning some. I
had never heard of it before but have found that it is a native of
Australia and is considered an invasive species. Bill said that it
turned quite nicely.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

It is nice. I just posted a picture on abpw of a carrotwood bowl I turned
about 6 months ago.
It doesn't even look like wood - I can't find a normal grain line anywhere
on it. I sometimes wonder if it
was actually a piece of burl and that I am to new to recognize it.