Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default SWIMBO

I was turning this nice little (8") natural edged bowl and was almost
finished with it, when the tit I had the tailstock against gave way. It
seems I had made one too many passes with the gouge in cleaning up the
bottom. When the tit gave way the bowl kinda slid/jumped off the cup
center and came to rest laying against the cup center. I looked and
thought, "That was a break." I popped the tit off, cleaned up the area
with a chisel and sanding disks, put the finish on it and was "right proud"
of myself.

Then I noticed the piece busted out of the natural edge. Evidently
happening when it jumped off the cup center. I did my usual "show and
tell" to SWIMBO and she said, "What a shame. You know, you could whittle
that down, put a bit of stain on it and no one would know." When I came in
at lunch, having been gone all morning, she plops the bowl down on the
table and says, "What do you think?" You could not tell it had ever been
broken. What had been odd looking fire wood now is a really nice natural
edged bowl. Think I'll keep her. :-)

Deb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Deb

Thanks for the good story, and yes I would agree, it's a good idea to
keep her. ;-))))
Maybe time for a vacuum chuck now ??? :-

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 20, 2:44 pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Part of the fun of any type of woodworking is
figuring out a way to fix a screw up, or turn
it into a "feature", or make it do something
else. Doesn't hurt to have help coming up
with a fix.

charlie b

I know what SWMBO (SheWhoMustBeObeyed)
and SWIMO (SheWhoIMustObey) but SWIMBO
is a new one to me. It stands for?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlieb wrote:
Part of the fun of any type of woodworking is
figuring out a way to fix a screw up, or turn
it into a "feature", or make it do something
else. Doesn't hurt to have help coming up
with a fix.

charlie b

I know what SWMBO (SheWhoMustBeObeyed)
and SWIMO (SheWhoIMustObey) but SWIMBO
is a new one to me. It stands for?

Esther Williams?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 21, 6:42 am, charlieb wrote:
Part of the fun of any type of woodworking is
figuring out a way to fix a screw up, or turn
it into a "feature", or make it do something
else. Doesn't hurt to have help coming up
with a fix.

charlie b

I know what SWMBO (SheWhoMustBeObeyed)
and SWIMO (SheWhoIMustObey) but SWIMBO
is a new one to me. It stands for?

The other part of the fun is having an excuse to buy a new tool.

Vernon

(never met a tool I didn't like)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Or said differently - "The mark of a good woodworker is the ability to
correct errors in an accurate and professional manner."

Lord knows I should be a professional - I get a lot of practice.

RonB