Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Jet 1236 tailstock problems

I have posted this question also on AAW forums.

I am having tailstock problems. I have a Jet 1236 that the c-ring
which prevents the tailstock quill from sliding backwords when under
pressure, keeps coming out of its groove.

I have uploaded a picture to help explain.
http://www.massmans.org/1236_diagram.jpeg

The c-ring is part #48-1. It sets in a groove on part #47. Part #47
also has threads that pushes the quill forward or backword depending
on turning the handcrank on back of tailstock.

I have called Jet and received a new c-ring and also part #47 but even
with the new parts it still jumps out of the groove over time.

I only use the tailstock for support when using a woodworm screw or a
friction/jam fit when turning off the tenon on the bottoms of bowls. I
dont apply a lot of pressure to the tailstock, but it continually
jumps out of the groove.

Does any other 1236 owners have this problem, if so what have you
found to remedy the problem. Would it be possible to weld or glue this
c-ring in place. Is there a different manufactures tailstock that will
work with the 1236.

Thanks,
Steve Massman

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 19, 2:00 pm, "massmans" wrote:

I am having tailstock problems. I have a Jet 1236 that the c-ring
which prevents the tailstock quill from sliding backwords when under
pressure, keeps coming out of its groove.

snip

I have called Jet and received a new c-ring and also part #47 but even
with the new parts it still jumps out of the groove over time.

snip

Does any other 1236 owners have this problem, if so what have you
found to remedy the problem. snip

Steve

I have a 1236 and use it as you do and also for spindle turning with
the tailstock. I've never experienced any problems like yours even why
I crank it tight.

Sorry no ideas for you though
Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Simoogle" wrote: (clip) I've never experienced any problems like yours
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I had that same problem when I was using a Jet 1236, but it hs been so long
I can only vaguely recall how I solved it. I think I put in two clips.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Steve - have tried calling Jet tech support? Their Powermatic support
is outstanding!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Steve

These are the reasons why I always say, "buying quality hurts only
once" or "pay me now or pay me later"

However as the case is, I do assume here, but would expect that the
corner/shoulder where the C-ring butts up against is gone or rounded
off a lot.
I also assume there is not a lot of cast metal there, if there was/is,
you could get a counter bore and square that shoulder up, and then
use a washer to sit flat against that new face and have the C-ring
turn against that, would be a better surface than the soft cast iron.

So if there is not enough metal to do the previous, another thing that
should work, is to epoxy a washer against the surface where the C-ring
runs against, that way you should be able to get a flat and square
shoulder that would survive for a while if not abused.

And yes others have problems with the tailstock to, one person had the
C-ring wear right through the back, and had gotten a new casting,
buying cheap isn't cheap, you keep on paying afterwards.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Wanted to say thanks to everyone that replied. I will most likely try
the epoxy to something like "JB Weld" to either use a washer or
another c-ring.

There is still most of the lacking shoulder of where the c-ring sits.
So putting another behind it and securing with something like epoxy
should help.

Thanks again,
Steve Massman

On Mar 26, 9:55 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

jet 1236 question Bruce Ferguson Woodturning 2 November 24th 05 03:33 PM
Harbor Freight's 1236 Jet Knock-off Questions JoanD'arcRoast Woodturning 4 October 8th 05 07:05 AM
Jet 1236 moter Dave W Woodturning 0 July 13th 05 10:26 PM
jet live center stuck in delta tailstock res055a5 Woodturning 6 December 15th 04 12:06 PM
Jet tailstock creep David Pugh Woodturning 12 November 21st 04 02:17 PM