DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dust collector maintenance (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/194517-dust-collector-maintenance.html)

bestshot March 9th 07 10:23 AM

Dust collector maintenance

When I purchased my delta 1-1/2 HP dust collector, No maintenance
instructions came with it.
Since hooking up a port an collection box at my lathe, I noticed the
super fine sanding dust was starting to clog up my top bag.
I would shake the bag and most of the fine dust would fall back into
the collectionection (lower) bag. As soon as I would start the DC,
most of the finer dust would go right back up into the top bag, and
with in an hour or so, I could notice some loss of suction.

What is the proper method of cleaning the top bag ?.
My bag is a 5 mircon.

Thanks in advance for any and or all replys.

Phisherman March 9th 07 11:31 AM

Dust collector maintenance

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 05:23:20 -0500, bestshot
wrote:

When I purchased my delta 1-1/2 HP dust collector, No maintenance
instructions came with it.
Since hooking up a port an collection box at my lathe, I noticed the
super fine sanding dust was starting to clog up my top bag.
I would shake the bag and most of the fine dust would fall back into
the collectionection (lower) bag. As soon as I would start the DC,
most of the finer dust would go right back up into the top bag, and
with in an hour or so, I could notice some loss of suction.

What is the proper method of cleaning the top bag ?.
My bag is a 5 mircon.

Thanks in advance for any and or all replys.

Do not clean it. The coat of dust is supposed to help the filtering.
I have not had much success with collecting lathe dust/chips. I end
up standing in a foot of shavings, then sweep them up at the end of
the day.

Nova March 9th 07 05:59 PM

bestshot wrote:
When I purchased my delta 1-1/2 HP dust collector, No maintenance
instructions came with it.
Since hooking up a port an collection box at my lathe, I noticed the
super fine sanding dust was starting to clog up my top bag.
I would shake the bag and most of the fine dust would fall back into
the collectionection (lower) bag. As soon as I would start the DC,
most of the finer dust would go right back up into the top bag, and
with in an hour or so, I could notice some loss of suction.

What is the proper method of cleaning the top bag ?.
My bag is a 5 mircon.

When I empty my DC I take both the upper and lower bags outside and
shake them out.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA