Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Dust collector maintenance

When I purchased my delta 1-1/2 HP dust collector, No maintenance
instructions came with it.
Since hooking up a port an collection box at my lathe, I noticed the
super fine sanding dust was starting to clog up my top bag.
I would shake the bag and most of the fine dust would fall back into
the collectionection (lower) bag. As soon as I would start the DC,
most of the finer dust would go right back up into the top bag, and
with in an hour or so, I could notice some loss of suction.

What is the proper method of cleaning the top bag ?.
My bag is a 5 mircon.

Thanks in advance for any and or all replys.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 05:23:20 -0500, bestshot
wrote:

When I purchased my delta 1-1/2 HP dust collector, No maintenance
instructions came with it.
Since hooking up a port an collection box at my lathe, I noticed the
super fine sanding dust was starting to clog up my top bag.
I would shake the bag and most of the fine dust would fall back into
the collectionection (lower) bag. As soon as I would start the DC,
most of the finer dust would go right back up into the top bag, and
with in an hour or so, I could notice some loss of suction.

What is the proper method of cleaning the top bag ?.
My bag is a 5 mircon.

Thanks in advance for any and or all replys.

Do not clean it. The coat of dust is supposed to help the filtering.
I have not had much success with collecting lathe dust/chips. I end
up standing in a foot of shavings, then sweep them up at the end of
the day.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

bestshot wrote:
When I purchased my delta 1-1/2 HP dust collector, No maintenance
instructions came with it.
Since hooking up a port an collection box at my lathe, I noticed the
super fine sanding dust was starting to clog up my top bag.
I would shake the bag and most of the fine dust would fall back into
the collectionection (lower) bag. As soon as I would start the DC,
most of the finer dust would go right back up into the top bag, and
with in an hour or so, I could notice some loss of suction.

What is the proper method of cleaning the top bag ?.
My bag is a 5 mircon.

When I empty my DC I take both the upper and lower bags outside and
shake them out.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

HF Dust collector Jimmy Woodworking 11 December 9th 05 12:34 PM
Anyone have a JDS Dust-Force dust collector? [email protected] Woodworking 4 August 15th 05 05:48 PM
Dust Collector and compressing dust into burnable logs tiredofspam Woodworking 25 February 23rd 05 03:04 AM
Dust Collector Bill Gooch Woodturning 19 December 4th 04 02:33 PM
Dust collector Bernie Bober Woodturning 4 November 23rd 04 07:34 PM