Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tim Tim is offline

Default Asian hardwood - large sizes needed

Hi--

I'm seeking a regular source of quality exotic Asian hardwood, blocks
that are about 6" x 6" x 18". I've been searching on-line but finding
quite little, and my source in Asia tells me that all he can offer to
me is material that he can't assure me won't crack. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tim wrote:
Hi--

I'm seeking a regular source of quality exotic Asian hardwood, blocks
that are about 6" x 6" x 18". I've been searching on-line but finding
quite little, and my source in Asia tells me that all he can offer to
me is material that he can't assure me won't crack. Any ideas?

If you ever find a source for guaranteed crack-free blocks of that
size, please give the word!

BjarteR
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It certainly depends on what you call exotic.

In my opinion padauk burl meets the full definition of exotic.

What were you looking for and what amounts ?

...Ken

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi--

I'm seeking a regular source of quality exotic Asian hardwood, blocks
that are about 6" x 6" x 18". I've been searching on-line but finding
quite little, and my source in Asia tells me that all he can offer to
me is material that he can't assure me won't crack. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tim Tim is offline

I'm looking for thinks like Ebony, Indian Rosewood, Zitan, Chinese
Northern Elm, mostly woods from India, China, East Asia, etc.

On Jan 13, 8:37 pm, "...Ken" wrote:
It certainly depends on what you call exotic.

In my opinion padauk burl meets the full definition of exotic.

What were you looking for and what amounts ?

...Ken

"Tim" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Hi--

I'm seeking a regular source of quality exotic Asian hardwood, blocks
that are about 6" x 6" x 18". I've been searching on-line but finding
quite little, and my source in Asia tells me that all he can offer to
me is material that he can't assure me won't crack. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tim ,

Ebony is 'harder' to export from Indonesia in the rough and very expensive
because of regulations....it is illegal.
Indian rosewood......if you have worked with it ......it smells nice for
about 10 minutes and then 'bloody 'ell ! And the grain is nothing special.
None of these woods turn as well as padauk burl. But the burl, of most any
hardwood is often 'exquisite'.

The best tropical woods, the most unique pieces, are usually now found in
either Myanmar (Burma) or Kalimantan/Indonesia.

Contact me directly if you are serious.

Regards........Ken aka www.island-teak.com

oups.com...

On Jan 13, 8:37 pm, "...Ken" wrote:
It certainly depends on what you call exotic.

In my opinion padauk burl meets the full definition of exotic.

What were you looking for and what amounts ?

...Ken

"Tim" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

Hi--

I'm seeking a regular source of quality exotic Asian hardwood, blocks
that are about 6" x 6" x 18". I've been searching on-line but finding
quite little, and my source in Asia tells me that all he can offer to
me is material that he can't assure me won't crack. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

check out my website and click on the link to cropp-timber
www.highislandexport.com
Ross