Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Which jaw type?

First posted on rec.woodworking - thanks, George - should have guessed that
there was a dedicated bunch of computerised turners.

Anyway:
I've had an axminster clubman chuck for a year or so and have only used it
with the type C jaws. er, this is my first expanding chuck in
case you can't guess from the rest of the post.

These have a dovetail on the outside and a lipped internal grip on the
inside.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...Jaws-21941.htm

After one or two disasters with the expanding dovetail on bowls where i had
left insufficient wood around the outside of the recess to withstand the
forces - and that the internal recess can be left on the bottom of a bowl
but its not a great feature {George posted a link to one of his which is
giving me second thoughts on this though}- i have tended to use the internal
lipped recess for most stuff and then take off the stub after finishing.

originally i would turn a stepped spigot to fit the lip - but i had one or
two of those fly across the room with the "stepping" bit splitting.
So i took to just doing a straight spigot.

But it tends to slip occasionally.

Two questions then - what does everyone else use - the inside stepped or the
outside dovetail. If you use the inside stepped do you turn a stepped
spigot or a straight one.

And would a different internal shape be better for bowls such as the
serrated one on the type H Medium gripper or the dovetailed ones on the Type
A ? (eg the kids don't know what to get me for xmas...)

Oh if it makes any difference - not just bowls of course - I'm still working
on perfecting the ideal eggcup; have had an enjoyable bash or two at goblets
and everybody seems to be getting boxes this xmas.

Thanks

Ken

Circuit Breakers: Murray Type MP-T vs. Siemens Type QP Green Giant Home Repair 2 June 5th 21 07:15 PM
Jaw sets Nat Franklin Woodturning 8 November 18th 06 06:08 PM
Turning darts(dartboard type, not blowgun type) eyeclinic Metalworking 17 December 11th 05 02:53 PM
Tub drain: Standard lever type vs pop up type [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 30th 05 09:17 PM
3 Jaw Charlie jerry wass Metalworking 1 June 29th 05 05:14 AM