DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Suitable wood for saucepan lid handle (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/184880-suitable-wood-saucepan-lid-handle.html)

Rog December 5th 06 10:11 AM

Suitable wood for saucepan lid handle

Hi,

I'm in the UK and have been wood turning for about four years now. Over
those years I've lurked this group on a regular basis.

I need to replace the handle/knob off a saucepan lid and was wondering
what would be a suitable wood to use (and available in the UK) to
withstand the heat and steam. The existing knob is a light coloured
wood (yellowy orange) but I've no idea what.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Rog

http://www.usenet.com

[email protected] December 5th 06 01:36 PM

Suitable wood for saucepan lid handle

Hi Rog
I would use beech or sycamore which were commonly used before plastic,
you should be able to find both easily here in th UK.
Cheers Michael
http://www.usenet.com

Henry St.Pierre December 6th 06 04:46 AM

Suitable wood for saucepan lid handle

Rog wrote in news:not_here-31EFE1.10111805122006
@News-West.Usenet.com:

Hi,

I'm in the UK and have been wood turning for about four years now. Over
those years I've lurked this group on a regular basis.

I need to replace the handle/knob off a saucepan lid and was wondering
what would be a suitable wood to use (and available in the UK) to
withstand the heat and steam. The existing knob is a light coloured
wood (yellowy orange) but I've no idea what.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Rog

http://www.usenet.com

Rog,
Just about any hardwood should be suitable. I would suggest a wood with a
very tight grain.
Regards,
Hank

Rog December 6th 06 09:00 AM

Suitable wood for saucepan lid handle

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi Rog
I would use beech or sycamore which were commonly used before plastic,
you should be able to find both easily here in th UK.
Cheers Michael
http://www.usenet.com

Thanks for the replies, I'll give those a go.

Rog

http://www.usenet.com