DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Oops! 2 J-Line J-170's (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/184405-oops-2-j-line-j-170s.html)

Juvenal December 1st 06 01:22 AM

Oops! 2 J-Line J-170's

I wasn't paying attention and thought I was buying 2 Powermatic 90's for
$200 ea., and wound up with two Brodhead Garrett J-170s for $400 ea. ooch.

Anyway, the casting is a lot heavier than my Grizzly G1495, and they have
newer 220V motors. I figure I'll sell the new G1495 and one of the J-170's
and still have a better lathe than I started with.

Anybody with any kind words or horror stories about J-170s? I'm thinking
I'll be hard pressed to get 400 bucks for one.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

[email protected] December 1st 06 02:31 AM

Oops! 2 J-Line J-170's

Hi Tim

These are 3 phase 220V motors ??
If so, not many people have 3 phase, and either need a convertor or
other motor.
Nice heavy lathe, get some risers and you're set for some serious
turning

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Juvenal December 1st 06 01:42 PM

Oops! 2 J-Line J-170's

Leo Van Der Loo wrote in message...

These are 3 phase 220V motors ??

No, single phase. Not sure of the hp.

Nice heavy lathe, get some risers and you're set for some serious
turning

Risers to increase the swing? I think the bed and head are all one casting.
I have them in another building, so I'll check them out later today. Here's
the manual with a pic of the casting:

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/YatesA.../J170Lathe.pdf

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Juvenal December 1st 06 02:58 PM

Oops! 2 J-Line J-170's

Leo Van Der Loo wrote in message...

get some risers and you're set for some serious
turning

Leo:

Checked out the lathes and you're correct - risers can indeed be added. And
as the lathes are next door in my friends machine shop, making some nice
looking risers shouldn't be any problem at all. Thanks for the heads up on
that, as I will definately want to increase the swing.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to work on them till after the holidays, and
don't have room in my shop for another lathe until the Griz is sold, which
can't happen yet as I have two jobs that require turnings & can't give up my
working lathe just yet. Sigh.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com