Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Negative Rake Scrapers

Does any one know of a supplier that has negative rake scrapers in A11
steel. Glaser had a set but I can not find a set anywhere on the net.
Thanks
Jim Dungan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

J K Dungan wrote:
Does any one know of a supplier that has negative rake scrapers in A11
steel. Glaser had a set but I can not find a set anywhere on the net.
Thanks
Jim Dungan

Now that's a surprise. I did a quick search on Ask.com and Google and
didn't find ready source. Wne to Craft Supplie's site as well as
Packard, and nothing. Not one.

Odd, as I remember a couple of years ago they were the rage. I think
Stuart Batty still demos them and I know Bonnie Klein still uses them.

I am wondering now if most aren't just converting old (or new)
scrapers, making their own. I made mine out of HSS in just a few
minutes at the grinder like this:

http://tinyurl.com/y5yghw

Good luck on the hunt.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Try this if you have $50 going spare.

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12256

for that money I would follow Robert's advice and grind my own.

wrote in message
ups.com...

J K Dungan wrote:
Does any one know of a supplier that has negative rake scrapers in A11
steel. Glaser had a set but I can not find a set anywhere on the net.
Thanks
Jim Dungan

Now that's a surprise. I did a quick search on Ask.com and Google and
didn't find ready source. Wne to Craft Supplie's site as well as
Packard, and nothing. Not one.

Odd, as I remember a couple of years ago they were the rage. I think
Stuart Batty still demos them and I know Bonnie Klein still uses them.

I am wondering now if most aren't just converting old (or new)
scrapers, making their own. I made mine out of HSS in just a few
minutes at the grinder like this:

http://tinyurl.com/y5yghw

Good luck on the hunt.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Robert,
At a demo Cindy Drozda was emphatic that the negative rake took the scary
out of scraping.
TomNie
wrote in message
ups.com...

J K Dungan wrote:
Does any one know of a supplier that has negative rake scrapers in A11
steel. Glaser had a set but I can not find a set anywhere on the net.
Thanks
Jim Dungan

Now that's a surprise. I did a quick search on Ask.com and Google and
didn't find ready source. Wne to Craft Supplie's site as well as
Packard, and nothing. Not one.

Odd, as I remember a couple of years ago they were the rage. I think
Stuart Batty still demos them and I know Bonnie Klein still uses them.

I am wondering now if most aren't just converting old (or new)
scrapers, making their own. I made mine out of HSS in just a few
minutes at the grinder like this:

http://tinyurl.com/y5yghw

Good luck on the hunt.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

J K Dungan wrote:
Does any one know of a supplier that has negative rake scrapers in A11
steel. Glaser had a set but I can not find a set anywhere on the net.

Robert Sorby do one which they call the 'hardwood scraper'.

http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/hardwoodscraper.htm

--
Alun Saunders

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Why bother? Seriously. What I do is raise the tool post a little, then use my
scrapers with their handle raised, which effectively turns a zero rake scraper
into a negative rake without resorting to extra grinding. Dan

J K Dungan wrote:
Does any one know of a supplier that has negative rake scrapers in A11
steel. Glaser had a set but I can not find a set anywhere on the net.
Thanks
Jim Dungan

Now that's a surprise. I did a quick search on Ask.com and Google and
didn't find ready source. Wne to Craft Supplie's site as well as
Packard, and nothing. Not one.

Odd, as I remember a couple of years ago they were the rage. I think
Stuart Batty still demos them and I know Bonnie Klein still uses them.

I am wondering now if most aren't just converting old (or new)
scrapers, making their own. I made mine out of HSS in just a few
minutes at the grinder like this:

http://tinyurl.com/y5yghw

Good luck on the hunt.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Nie wrote:
Robert,
At a demo Cindy Drozda was emphatic that the negative rake took the scary
out of scraping.
TomNie

Hey Tom! Long time no hear. Everything doin' OK out there in the (I
guess not so new digs) shop? I thought maybe you were traveling the
country like Cane (remember Kung Fu?) in search of truth and teaching
woodturning along the way.

OK... no Christmas gift idea response from you. What's on the lathe
this year?

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dan Bollinger wrote:
Why bother? Seriously. What I do is raise the tool post a little, then use my
scrapers with their handle raised, which effectively turns a zero rake scraper
into a negative rake without resorting to extra grinding. Dan

I thought it was probably another load of hooey directed at us
woodturners. We have more gimcracks, gewgaws, accessories, "must
haves", and versions of the same tools than any other aspect of
woodworking. I am tired of "more must have stuff".

However.... on trying that at the club, I promptly went to the grinder
the next weekend and took an old HSS Taylor scraper that I had done
some horse trading for (it is 1"x1/2") and ground the neg rake on it.
I like it really well for end grain finishing of hard woods. It works
great and leaves a smooth finish as long as you sharpen frequently.
The finish it leaves is better than the plain scraper, which I use
until I am ready for this one. You can easily start your sanding at
220 after hitting it with the neg rake.

If you make one of these rascals, make it out of a chisel that has at
least 1/2" in thickness. Otherwise (again, as found out by club
memebers) it will set up a harmonic vibration and it will leave a
finish almost like a chatter tool.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I had seen those before. I really want the A11 set if I ever find 1. I
have been playing NRSing for about a year and think its a great way to clean
up tear out in very soft woods as well..I have been using it on some spalted
cottonwood that really needs special handling to get even close to a clean
cut. I soak it in shellack for a day then turn as usual. The end grain is
terrible to cut but will scrape with a NRS and leave a pretty good
finish..sand from 120 and it gets most of the tearout out. You can pour
watter through this wood its so soft. I have an email addy for Stuart Batty
and have sent a request to him I know he did alot with NRS and is where I
saw the A11 set he used in a demo. I saw these everywhere a few years ago
but never messed with it before last year. Thanks for the replies. Hey any
OKIE turners here.

Jim
"Alun" wrote in message
J K Dungan wrote:
Does any one know of a supplier that has negative rake scrapers in A11
steel. Glaser had a set but I can not find a set anywhere on the net.

Robert Sorby do one which they call the 'hardwood scraper'.

http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/hardwoodscraper.htm

--
Alun Saunders

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Miller wrote:

And in that spirit, we can expect that this time next year someone will
be marketing yet another gewgaw for us by the name of Negative Rake
Chatter Tool! g

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

Man alive, don't you know that's true! I am guessing that it will be
somewhere in the $60 range.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Robert,
That shop is STILL a work in progress. If I was building the cross Christ
would still be waiting:-) That doesn't mean I stopped my tithing at
Klingspor though.

How's this idea? Take a light wood, maybe Holly, hollow out an oval sphere
(does that make sense), add a couple Cindy Drozda finials, drill a small
hole for a Christmas light bulb from the tree that lights the inside and
another for a vent, and do some pyrography on the outside of the oval. Theft
from Penta & Drozda with the light bulb/pyro my thing.

BTW, Cindy said she could see no reason why a negative rake would work
differently, just did. Hers simply had the top ground at an angle toward the
tip and she passed out a paper that had the info on she made hers. Dan said
just change your toolrest angle which I would swear should do the same. But
she said nothing worked as well, and she doesn't sell tools. I haven't tried
it yet.

TomNie

wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom Nie wrote:
Robert,
At a demo Cindy Drozda was emphatic that the negative rake took the scary
out of scraping.
TomNie

Hey Tom! Long time no hear. Everything doin' OK out there in the (I
guess not so new digs) shop? I thought maybe you were traveling the
country like Cane (remember Kung Fu?) in search of truth and teaching
woodturning along the way.

OK... no Christmas gift idea response from you. What's on the lathe
this year?

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dan Bollinger wrote:
Why bother? Seriously. What I do is raise the tool post a little, then
use my scrapers with their handle raised, which effectively turns a zero
rake scraper into a negative rake without resorting to extra grinding. Dan

Bother? Seriously, I find that the re-grinding turns the zero rake scraper
into a negative rake scraper, and you don't have to resort to raising the
handle - lots more comfortable and controllable. Way easier to use.

I did it with a standard 1/4" thick scraper, so my "bevel' is very short, but
next time I am in the market for a scraper (or in the "Gee, What is it I can't
live without?" mode) I will get a thicker one.

as usual YMMV
--
Mike Vore
http://www.OhMyWoodness.com