Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default CNC wood lathe

Started posting details on my CNC lathe/mill/router. I am building it
mainly to be able to do columns up to 24" by 10' but there are a lot of
other things I plan for it. Comments welcome.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Art Ransom said:

Started posting details on my CNC lathe/mill/router. I am building it
mainly to be able to do columns up to 24" by 10' but there are a lot of
other things I plan for it. Comments welcome.

Pretty cool looking. There is something interesting about a machine,
built and programmed by its owner, autonomously going about its work.
Wish I had room and the funds to resume messing with this stuff after
a 17 year hiatus. Not as inclined to purchase as much as DIY, and my
first experiments in this vein ran on a Commodore 64 - in assembly.
It took forever to write the code and fabricate hardware out of
discarded gear in the spare bedroom of an 800 sq ft house.
I remember the rush of watching a small DIY x/y/drill PC drilling
setup from 17 years ago do its thing. More accurately and quickly
than I could do by hand - the perfect worker. Now if we could just
build an honest, worthy politician out of stepper motors & metal rods.

FWIW

Greg G.