Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Sam Sam is offline

Default woodfiller for cracks in lathe turned wood bowls

I'm looking for a woodfiller I could use for cracks in lathe turned
bowls (or flat wood) that when used, looks green like weathered copper,
or perhaps like turquoise. I saw bowls "patched" with it at an art
fair and the woodworker could not remember the name of the product (or
he may have wanted to keep his technique a secret). I've been combing
through my woodworking catalogs but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Could this be an epoxy with a colorant added or a wood filler? I'd
appreciate any of your thoughts on this subject. Thank you.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sam could be a number of things but the most likely is a product called
"Inlace" not sure where you will get it in the US but someone, better
informed than me will I'm sure give you the answer.

You can use almost anything mixed with Epoxy or Superglue.

Metal Powders, Powder Paints, Wood Shavings/Dust [Try Dymowood Dust], Corian
Dust, Turquoise and other Semi-Precious Stones, even Cat Litter has been
used.

Experiment, it can be fun.

RVS
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a woodfiller I could use for cracks in lathe turned
bowls (or flat wood) that when used, looks green like weathered copper,
or perhaps like turquoise. I saw bowls "patched" with it at an art
fair and the woodworker could not remember the name of the product (or
he may have wanted to keep his technique a secret). I've been combing
through my woodworking catalogs but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Could this be an epoxy with a colorant added or a wood filler? I'd
appreciate any of your thoughts on this subject. Thank you.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sam wrote:
I'm looking for a woodfiller I could use for cracks in lathe turned
bowls (or flat wood) that when used, looks green like weathered copper,
or perhaps like turquoise. I saw bowls "patched" with it at an art
fair and the woodworker could not remember the name of the product (or
he may have wanted to keep his technique a secret). I've been combing
through my woodworking catalogs but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Could this be an epoxy with a colorant added or a wood filler? I'd
appreciate any of your thoughts on this subject. Thank you.

Inlace is available at CraftUSA. See:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com

Search for "INLACE"

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Use WoodEpoy at www.abatron.com a 2 part epoxy putty. They have powered
colors but no copper. Get color powders at local craft supply. WoodEpox is
great stuff that turns, sands and finishes like wood.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org
"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a woodfiller I could use for cracks in lathe turned
bowls (or flat wood) that when used, looks green like weathered copper,
or perhaps like turquoise. I saw bowls "patched" with it at an art
fair and the woodworker could not remember the name of the product (or
he may have wanted to keep his technique a secret). I've been combing
through my woodworking catalogs but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Could this be an epoxy with a colorant added or a wood filler? I'd
appreciate any of your thoughts on this subject. Thank you.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sam,
I use clear 2 part epoxy as a base and a product called Pearl Ex for the
color. Pearl Ex is a mica stone product that comes in 40 colors. When
mixed with the epoxy it gives a deep colorful look. I especially like the
greens and reds for filling cracks. Pieces that have this always bring
compliments.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/