Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Maple and "Burny Beans"

When I was a kid we'd take a bean from a common tree in
Central America, rub it fast on the concrete and touch it
to the arm of an unsuspecting victim. The bean, commonly
know, appropriately enough, as a Burny Bean, absorbed heat
quickly and held it long enough to inflict damage on a nearby
friend. (Kids play some pretty mean games).

It seems maple has the same capability - heats up fast,
gets quite hot - and stays hot for a while. Discovered
this similarity to Burny Beans while burnishing some maple
pegs with shavings. The shavings AND the maple got damn
hot damn quick. Now mahogany, padouk, rosewood. redwood
and other stuff I've turned doesn't do this. What is it about
maple that causes it to heat up so fast, get so hot and hold
the heat longer than other woods?

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlie b wrote:
When I was a kid we'd take a bean from a common tree in
Central America, rub it fast on the concrete and touch it
to the arm of an unsuspecting victim. The bean, commonly
know, appropriately enough, as a Burny Bean, absorbed heat
quickly and held it long enough to inflict damage on a nearby
friend. (Kids play some pretty mean games).

It seems maple has the same capability - heats up fast,
gets quite hot - and stays hot for a while. Discovered
this similarity to Burny Beans while burnishing some maple
pegs with shavings. The shavings AND the maple got damn
hot damn quick. Now mahogany, padouk, rosewood. redwood
and other stuff I've turned doesn't do this. What is it about
maple that causes it to heat up so fast, get so hot and hold
the heat longer than other woods?

charlie b

Friction triggers an exothermic reaction between sugar in the maple and
the oxygen in the air. Part of the sugar caramelizes and caramel holds
heat. Not.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA