Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Mess, disorder and sloth. Joy or heartache?

There's no doubt that my truck runs smoother and has more pep after it's
washed and waxed, while changing filters and plugs makes little
difference. Just the opposite with my lathe. Polished ways, lubed
camlocks and smooth tool rests make all the difference while the dried
glue, varnish, grease, dirt and chips on the painted parts make no
difference, except for being in style with messy chic.
Am I just lazy or do I need a slob support group? Are there other slobs
out there who claim to prefer a dirty lathe and pretend to work better
in a messy shop? Enough of "Slobs Anonymous", I say it's time to come
out of the closet.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom tom is offline

I've never washed my truck's exterior. Seems like a waste of water, to
me. I do change the oil, filters, check tire pressure and brake pads.
Those are things I can't afford _not_ to do. Don't sweat the petty
stuff...as long as it doesn't become unsafe...Tom, out of the closet.
Arch wrote:
There's no doubt that my truck runs smoother and has more pep after it's
washed and waxed, while changing filters and plugs makes little
difference. Just the opposite with my lathe. Polished ways, lubed
camlocks and smooth tool rests make all the difference while the dried
glue, varnish, grease, dirt and chips on the painted parts make no
difference, except for being in style with messy chic.
Am I just lazy or do I need a slob support group? Are there other slobs
out there who claim to prefer a dirty lathe and pretend to work better
in a messy shop? Enough of "Slobs Anonymous", I say it's time to come
out of the closet.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch there are a lot of things I rather do than clean my shop or other,
however I have to keep things in such a upkeep that I'm able to do the
other things I rather do.
Floors, walls and bench tops will only be free of clutter after someone
else moves into this place I'm afraid.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:
There's no doubt that my truck runs smoother and has more pep after it's
washed and waxed, while changing filters and plugs makes little
difference. Just the opposite with my lathe. Polished ways, lubed
camlocks and smooth tool rests make all the difference while the dried
glue, varnish, grease, dirt and chips on the painted parts make no
difference, except for being in style with messy chic.
Am I just lazy or do I need a slob support group? Are there other slobs
out there who claim to prefer a dirty lathe and pretend to work better
in a messy shop? Enough of "Slobs Anonymous", I say it's time to come
out of the closet.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I clean my shop once a year weather it needs it or not. I toss bit of odd &
ends That I haven't figured out a uses for in the last year, find an
occasional lost part or tool. relocate everything to it proper place. Lube
everything, touch up paint, check belts and blades, check any adjustments
for proper alignment. Then sweep and vacuum the floor then since this is
usually being done in the fall I will restock the mouse traps. Good for
another year

"Arch" wrote in message
There's no doubt that my truck runs smoother and has more pep after it's
washed and waxed, while changing filters and plugs makes little
difference. Just the opposite with my lathe. Polished ways, lubed
camlocks and smooth tool rests make all the difference while the dried
glue, varnish, grease, dirt and chips on the painted parts make no
difference, except for being in style with messy chic.
Am I just lazy or do I need a slob support group? Are there other slobs
out there who claim to prefer a dirty lathe and pretend to work better
in a messy shop? Enough of "Slobs Anonymous", I say it's time to come
out of the closet.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Late to this party but

There's a difference between "messy" and "dangerous".
If you can't see it under and'/or amidst the chips, curlies
and debris - you can't find it and/or you can avoid tripping
on it.

If it's on or in the wood alley of a table saw, planer, joiner
or shaper and it causes you to lose your concentration
and control of the task of moving wood over or into spinning
sharp things - it's DANGEROUS.

If its sharp or heavy, and precariously balanced - it will,
more often than probability would indicate - fall on or into
your foot/ knee/ head - and then roll under something
heavy and come to rest in close proximity to something
that stings or bites or stinks. That's dangerous.

If you have to move EVERYTHING in order to do anything
that's not dangerous but damned inconvenient. And this
one's my nemesis. I've got the power tools and hand tools
under control - they all have homes I return them to when
not needed - right now. But scraps from a project - as well
as the previous projects, which MIGHT have some future
use - accumulate - on every flat surface above the ground
-as well as on the ground. And roughed to rounds that have
split or cracked accumulate - though in all likelyhood there's
really nothing that can be salvaged. They're dangerous because,
by their very nature, they tend to roll unless constrained.

I'm working on two solutions.

One is a couple of plastic kitchen garbage cans - the tall
recatangular ones. Unless it's ebony or rosewood, scraps
go in a garbage/debris "can" and out with the weekly
garbage.

The other fix involves neighborhood kids. They LOVE the
dust collector. Holding a 4" hose that'll suck flies out of
the air from a foot away, or spiders and spider webs made
to vanish -Look - MAGIC! Combine the 1100 CFM (nominal,
it's actually more like 700 cfm if that) with a pair of kid
sized brooms and you've created a Kid's Heaven - noise,
(the dust collector itself, the sound of large volumes of
air rushing into the end of the hose, and the neat sound
of stuff rattling in the hose then through the ABS dust
collector "ducting" - shear joy.) - AND a sense of
accomplishment "I cleaned this WHOLE shop!"

So solution two sometimes means digging through the
cyclone lidded separator can with a magnate to find
a metal part that is needed elsewhere - but that's
worth a) getting the shop cleaned up and b) watching
kids have fun.

charlie b