Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Only 368 posts so I'll Muse about bull****

Last night I reread professor Frankfurt's little tract, "On Bull****".
I'm not sure if I did this because of rereading some of my posts (and a
couple of yours) or because it's Father's Day weekend with the $52 eau
de cologne that will be exchanged Monday morning. Whatever, since
there's so much of it I got to musing about the character and value of
our bull****.

About 97.3 % of the content of my posts (including this one) and to a
slightly lesser extent yours also, is bull****. Is this harmful or is it
a good thing for rcw's naive woodturners? Even good bull**** shouldn't
be in the eye of the beholder, so It probably depends on the
consequences of posting incorrect yet believable bull****.
Frankfurt thinks that bull****ting is worse than lying because the liar
at least, cares enough about the truth to sincerely
avoid it, but the bull****ter doesn't care if he is posting good advice
or bad. If that's so, then our bull**** can help as well as harm new
turners.

Excepting a few generally ignored trolls, none of us post deliberate
lies, so all our incorrect opinions are either bull**** or ignorance,
which when strongly held and pushed too hard becomes bull****. Trouble
is, good bull**** smells the same as bad bull**** and stinks like
ignorance. Since we can't tell the difference, I say,
"enough of this bull****".

Happy Father's Day, Sun. Don't open the cologne, you'll want to exchange
it for a gouge and that's no bull****.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

http//community.webtv.net/almcc/Mac'sMusings

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Harry Pye

Arch,

Happy Father's Day, Sun. Don't open the cologne, you'll want to exchange
it for a gouge and that's no bull****.

ROTFLMAO!

I think you have been spending to much time in that Florida sun without
a hat!

Happy Father's Day to you too!

Harry
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:40:50 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

Last night I reread professor Frankfurt's little tract, "On Bull****".
I'm not sure if I did this because of rereading some of my posts (and a
couple of yours) or because it's Father's Day weekend with the $52 eau
de cologne that will be exchanged Monday morning. Whatever, since
there's so much of it I got to musing about the character and value of
our bull****.

About 97.3 % of the content of my posts (including this one) and to a
slightly lesser extent yours also, is bull****. Is this harmful or is it
a good thing for rcw's naive woodturners?

Wrong side of the bed this morning, Arch?

Even good bull**** shouldn't
be in the eye of the beholder, so It probably depends on the
consequences of posting incorrect yet believable bull****.
Frankfurt thinks that bull****ting is worse than lying because the liar
at least, cares enough about the truth to sincerely
avoid it, but the bull****ter doesn't care if he is posting good advice
or bad. If that's so, then our bull**** can help as well as harm new
turners.

Well Arch, there's more than one way to skin a cat- and what may smack
of bull**** to one guy may be the answer to another's prayers. When
it comes to making things, the bull**** level seems to be fairly low,
IMO- though there are the bits of incorrect information that seem to
be innocent enough to my eye.

Where it really comes strolling in is when you have to start naming or
defining things. I can't even remember all the bits (and sometimes
large piles) of bull**** I've had to come up with to get projects
approved with the building inspector or help someone convince their
husband or wife that a project is useful or necessary. I know in at
least a few cases, things that were absolutely unacceptable magically
became wonderful with a change in name- a suite of offices in a garage
I did a while back comes to mind. The inspector would not approve a
wooden subfloor in a "garage"- but it was fine in a "barn." Nothing
else changed, just the name of the building on the permit. Bull****?
Indeed- but it was bull**** that allowed the project to begin, and got
the customer what he needed- while remaining on the right side of the
law.

Excepting a few generally ignored trolls, none of us post deliberate
lies, so all our incorrect opinions are either bull**** or ignorance,
which when strongly held and pushed too hard becomes bull****. Trouble
is, good bull**** smells the same as bad bull**** and stinks like
ignorance. Since we can't tell the difference, I say,
"enough of this bull****".

Nah. If we eliminate 97.3% of all the stuff in here, there won't be
anything left to mull over. FWIW, more than 2.7% of the tips I've
taken out of here were worthwhile, so you may just be playing at the
COC role again...

Happy Father's Day, Sun. Don't open the cologne, you'll want to exchange
it for a gouge and that's no bull****.

I built my Dad a deck this year, so I guess he'll have to keep it!
(Mom got the door that goes out onto it for Mother's Day)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Scratch Ankle

"Arch" wrote in message

Happy Father's Day, Sun. Don't open the cologne, you'll want to exchange
it for a gouge and that's no bull****.

If I got a $52 bottle of cologne I might just do that. However, I taught my
son well. If you don't know what to get, go to Wal-Mart into the aisle with
fishing lures. Close your eyes, reach out and grab one. You hit a
something right. Unless it's the wall hook they hang on. Haven't been able
to teach my wife that. She keeps trying to spend big money on things she
wants me to want rather than what I want. When laser levels came out she
was enamored of them and kept trying to get me one. I use a level about a
half dozen times a year and 5 of those times are as a 6' straight edge. She
finally went and bought one but fortunately the thing was defective so it
went back.

As for my BS level, if it weren't for it, I'd have absolutely nothing to
say.

Happy Father's Day to you and the rest of the world.
--

You know, I spent a fortune on deodorant
before I realized that people didn't like me anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch have a very happy farthers day, oops, Fathersday also.

As for the 52 dollar eau of whereever, that's mostly alcohol I think,
can't drink it but you surely might try do dry some bowls with it,
(some people swear by it) no it's not that expensive, you do know the
price of the real stuff around here ???

Happy Fathers day to all, may your lathe humm and your shavings
swizzle, GG.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Charles Friedman

I got to musing about the character and value of
our bull****.

About 97.3 % of the content of my posts (including this one) and to a
slightly lesser extent yours also, is bull****. Is this harmful or is it
a good thing for rcw's naive woodturners?

I believe that one of the important components of creativity is actually
bull****. Inspiration involves grapling with a problem and turning it into
an opportunity. For me this only works when I let my mind go free and
consider all the options. There was an editorial on the op-ed page of the
LA times this week: a wannabee movie critic spilled his guts on how the
movie "Cars" let him down because how could creatures with no opposable
thumbs have created all those things in the movie! No matter that the cars
were talking, that he could believe!

Even good bull**** shouldn't
be in the eye of the beholder, so It probably depends on the
consequences of posting incorrect yet believable bull****.
Frankfurt thinks that bull****ting is worse than lying because the liar
at least, cares enough about the truth to sincerely
avoid it, but the bull****ter doesn't care if he is posting good advice
or bad. If that's so, then our bull**** can help as well as harm new
turners.

Excepting a few generally ignored trolls, none of us post deliberate
lies, so all our incorrect opinions are either bull**** or ignorance,
which when strongly held and pushed too hard becomes bull****. Trouble
is, good bull**** smells the same as bad bull**** and stinks like
ignorance. Since we can't tell the difference, I say,
"enough of this bull****".

Ok, now it took me a long time to learn this lesson: everyone is entitle to
their own opinion, OPINIONS just are! Neither right or wrong. They just
exist.
Some opinions we like, some we react violenty to. This reflects our world
view,
and we have to own our reaction. We owe a great deal to those who stump us
and cause us to re-examine our world. Those who do not wish to be
challenged, must
start their own religion or country and have a large powerful army.

Charles Friedman DDS
Ventura, CA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 00:29:37 GMT, "Charles Friedman"
wrote:

Snip

Those who do not wish to be challenged, must
start their own religion or country and have a large powerful army.

Well now, what's the point of having a large powerful army if no one
ever challenges you? Gotta do something with it, right? g

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Charles Friedman" wrote in message
. com...

I got to musing about the character and value of
our bull****.

About 97.3 % of the content of my posts (including this one) and to a
slightly lesser extent yours also, is bull****. Is this harmful or is it
a good thing for rcw's naive woodturners?

I believe that one of the important components of creativity is actually
bull****. Inspiration involves grapling with a problem and turning it
into
an opportunity. For me this only works when I let my mind go free and
consider all the options.

Hear, hear! It's pretty tough to be a no-bull**** type in a society based
on it, but like any other fertilizer, even _cattle_ **** (can't give the
cows short shrift) does grow some wonderful things.
It is pretty slippery when being spread, however, so it's a good idea to use
the firm footing provided by knowledge to stand on as we negotiate our
course between pasture patties.

Some "options" aren't.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Only 352 posts so I'll Muse on about bull****

"Arch" wrote in message

On further musing:
Although both have their place in rcw posts, I think we smell "bull****"
as a warm, fragrant good friend, whereas "horse****" has a negative,
hold your nose, pejorative bouquet when added to most posts. What is
the committee's consensus on this important subject??

n.b. To satisfy the fine, no-nonsense on-topic pure in heart, I hasten
to point out that the above captioned material is the base for an
effective woodturner's spalting soup.

Horse**** is too full of weeds and seeds to make good fertilizer on its own.
Takes time and help like shavings to get something worthwhile out of it.

As to spalting being affected by manure with at most the odd piece of
undigested twig available to culture the stuff, or assertions that fungi
which are adapted to feast on lignin will do so on manure or human lung
tissue? They're a fine example of ... bull****.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Nope...

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Rotting deck posts (below ground level) [email protected] Home Repair 7 February 27th 06 12:03 AM
Deck disasater - how to repair concrete posts? Andy Woodworking 10 June 15th 04 12:01 PM
Garden fence posts Mortimer UK diy 8 February 6th 04 11:50 AM
deck posts Pykirk Woodworking 2 October 6th 03 02:32 AM
Concrete Fence Posts - setting out Rick Hughes UK diy 4 July 11th 03 08:45 PM