Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

Default Slightly O.T. Green wood sealer for live trees?

I have some green wood sealer distributed by Choice Woods in Lousiville KY.
I have a renter who trimmed some bradford pear trees quite a bit (2-3")
branches. I havn't cut them that much this late in the year before. Usually
try to catch them in early spring. I remember Grandpa painting them with
something but I don't know what it was. Thought maybe someone here had tried
it.
Thanks in advance Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
k.net...
I have some green wood sealer distributed by Choice Woods in Lousiville KY.
I have a renter who trimmed some bradford pear trees quite a bit (2-3")
branches. I havn't cut them that much this late in the year before. Usually
try to catch them in early spring. I remember Grandpa painting them with
something but I don't know what it was. Thought maybe someone here had
tried it.
Thanks in advance Lyndell

Apparently this practice is no longer used. Tree heals over pruning, even
pretty severe pruning, with less damage if it's allowed to do so without
interference.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Hi Lyndell, I've tarred & feathered broken tree limbs too, but after
the hurricanes damaged so many trees here, all local arborists and
foresters nixed that. The big No-No now is about people ruining and
shortening the life of healthy trees by excessive trimming and by
shaping and topping. Some weird shaped foliage surrounds the mcMansions,
but I reckon not for long.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Peter Hyde

In article ,
"Dan Bollinger" wrote:

Right. You are better off without a sealer. So say the experts.

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Lyndell Thompson" wrote in message
k.net...
I have some green wood sealer distributed by Choice Woods in Lousiville KY.
I have a renter who trimmed some bradford pear trees quite a bit (2-3")
branches. I havn't cut them that much this late in the year before. Usually
try to catch them in early spring. I remember Grandpa painting them with
something but I don't know what it was. Thought maybe someone here had
tried it.
Thanks in advance Lyndell

Apparently this practice is no longer used. Tree heals over pruning, even
pretty severe pruning, with less damage if it's allowed to do so without
interference.

The biggest problem is the limb should be cut as close as possible to
the trunk without damage to the bark. If the smallest stump is left then
the tree will not cover the end with new bark and eventually water and
insects will get in the wound and the tree suffers major damage. So the
practice evolved of putting a sealer on the bare stump end as a
protective coating after several years. This was altered to putting
sealer on immediately the pruning was done thinking it would stop the
tree bleeding sap. If the pruning is done as tightly as possible to the
main trunk the bleeding sap will promote new bark growth and seal the
wound completely.

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/pHyde/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lyndell Thompson

"Arch" wrote in message
Hi Lyndell, I've tarred & feathered broken tree limbs too, but after
the hurricanes damaged so many trees here, all local arborists and
foresters nixed that. The big No-No now is about people ruining and
shortening the life of healthy trees by excessive trimming and by
shaping and topping. Some weird shaped foliage surrounds the mcMansions,
but I reckon not for long.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Thanks to all for the replies. I was unsure so we did nothing and sounds
like we did the correct thing. Very seldom can you do nothing and get
desired results. I just hope I don't become a do-nothing guy. :-)
Thanks to all Lyndell