Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
BAM

Default JET 1240 Lathe

Anyone have any info on this? There one for sale locally . Any know
problems or things to look for on it?
Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin

Hi Brian,

I bought one of these in late 2003. It came with a 6" faceplate, handwheel,
safety shield for the face, and toolrest. This is the only lathe I've ever
used so I cannot make comparisons to other brands.
Cons:
* Off center turning is iffy at best with the materials supplied. I have
read the reports here about the less-than-ideal quality of the extension for
the tool rest. I tried off center a couple times and didn't feel all that
conmfortable doing it.

* It's low speed is around 550. This means if you wish to turn largish
bowls you would be better served by using a bandsaw to rough out the blanks.
The high speed may also impair to some degree, sanding.

* There is no reverse on this lathe motor. It might be added in some way
but my electrical skills are not up to it.

* The motor is ideally situated to catch all the dust from your work.

Inspite of the shortcomings I find it to be well worth the money I paid
($500). It is my starter lathe and may well be the only one I ever have.
I do occasionally look at some higher end ones, the Nova DVR and that one
made in Decateur Ill that I can never remember the name of. But mine still
suits me. I did add around 200lbs of gravel and since then have never had
problems with it going walkabout.

"BAM" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have any info on this? There one for sale locally . Any know
problems or things to look for on it?
Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 20 Apr 2006 18:47:59 -0700, "BAM" wrote:

Anyone have any info on this? There one for sale locally . Any know
problems or things to look for on it?
Brian

Brian.. I don't know about that Jet, but I'm happy with the Jet mini and 1442
that I have...

I'd advise checking with Amazon and anywhere else that sells the lathe and has
reviews available... the reviews are what pushed me away from Delta and to the
Jet...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Stainless Steel Project Help(part 2) [email protected] Metalworking 22 March 4th 06 04:47 PM
help with newly acquired lathe Jon Elson Metalworking 33 December 28th 05 05:15 PM
Rikon Lathe David Pugh Woodturning 2 October 29th 05 06:30 AM
House of tools lathe - comments Machineman Metalworking 24 July 11th 04 05:58 AM