Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Musing about nice things, useful beauty and shabby function.

The ad in "American Woodturner" re special commemorative gouges for
AAW's 20th anniversary got me musing about our perceptions of 'useful
beauty'. I would love to own one of those gouges. They look great, well
designed and nicely made. A sure and certain pleasure to use, but would
I use mine? Probably not for a while. I'd keep on using my old beat up
gouges, hesitant to scatch the handle or facet the bevels of such a nice
tool.

I didn't get much of its intended usage out of my '05 pick up until the
fenders and bumper got dinged, the bed scarred and the upholstery a bit
greasy. Then I truly enjoyed using it as a truck, not coddled as a good
looking shiny new car altho kept in good running condition. Is there a
certain satisfaction and pleasure in using unsightly even ugly, things
that work. Are things really ugly if they function well?

I wonder how many of you, almost deliberately and not thinking yourself
a slob, make rough tool handles, festoon headstocks with glue, varnish
and wax and litter bed & bench with unfinished work and extraneous tools
and supplies...ok, your cup with its cold coffee and floating chips &
dust might be a bit too much.

You might _not be a slob If your workshop is a mess, but it's safe and
all working parts are lubed and protected, your turning tools are sharp
and purpose formed and your finished pieces are acceptable in most
turner's sight for their intended purpose, whether for use or admiration
(not necessarily mutually exclusive terms).

Is there a guilt free satisfaction for some of us to enjoy a deliberate
combination of shabby disorder with things that work or is it impossible
to do good work without handsome equipment and a neat orderly workshop,
not to mention a pristine lathe? IIRC, my Jet mini was originally white.

Regardless of all that and whatever else I seem to imply, I'm lusting in
my heart for one of those commemorative gouges. Until then, I'll clean
up my shop and shine up my lathe, but just you don't bet on it, Mr.
Clean.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

A cowboy hat isn't a real cowboy hat 'til you've
watered your horse out of it - or at least
topped off the radiator.

A pickup truck isn't a real pickup truck 'til
it's carried a load of "compost" or drain rock.

A tool isn't a tool 'til it's been used well
though not abused.

And a rose ain't a rose 'til the aphids
arrive. (ironic that the big really
pretty ones hardly have a smell, if
at all - but the little tea roses sure do)

I've got a G.N.T. Gordon ebony and brass
spoke shave that, though it works
extremely well, is seldom used because
it looks so nice and works so well.

Then there are the tools that look
really nice but seem too scary to
try - just yet - an inch and a half
oval skew with the BIG, LONG
handle that screams - There's
a reason this handle is this size!
A long fingernail grind that just
seems to be made to catch big
time if not used exactly right.

The first scratch analogy is
a very good one.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Hi charlie, your usual good post, well put.
I guess making that first scratch is like making that last cut ...scary,
but we can profit by risking both.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Fleming

I can skip the gouge. I don't have much use for pretty tools. The
only pretty things, hopefully, are the finished products.

I like the truck story too. Years ago I loaned my new pickup to a
friend who was moving. He scratched the bed up. It bothered me for
about 5 seconds then I remembered - its a truck. Joe Fleming

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Hartzell

With everyone owning pickups, regardless of occupation, I have a hunch
average pickup load being hauled is less than 100 pounds.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message
With everyone owning pickups, regardless of occupation, I have a hunch
average pickup load being hauled is less than 100 pounds.

With winter still around , I carry more than that over the wheels. No sense
buying sand - I use firewood.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andrew Barss

charlie b wrote:

: And a rose ain't a rose 'til the aphids
: arrive. (ironic that the big really
: pretty ones hardly have a smell, if
: at all - but the little tea roses sure do)

Try Mr. Lincoln roses -- big, gorgeous and
really fragrant.

-- Andy barss