Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tdup2

Default Turning with epoxy

I turned a little dish today that had a scroll saw design in the middle. I
used the black earth pigments and epoxy from Woodcraft to fill the design
in. The wood I was using was oak. Anyway after making the dish I started to
sand it smooth and the epoxy started to get small sanding dust specs in it.
Took them out with the Skew once but they came right back. Anyone know a
solution to this???

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

I think you'll fund that epoxy softens with heat and there is no way
around it except not to generate heat.

Bill

tdup2 wrote:
I turned a little dish today that had a scroll saw design in the middle. I
used the black earth pigments and epoxy from Woodcraft to fill the design
in. The wood I was using was oak. Anyway after making the dish I started to
sand it smooth and the epoxy started to get small sanding dust specs in it.
Took them out with the Skew once but they came right back. Anyone know a
solution to this???

Tim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Agree with the above. I have used epoxy as a filler in things, but
generally finish it with wet sanding ultra fine, which keeps it cool
and makes a nice glossy finish.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

i use epoxy fairly regular - if you are getting 'holes' forming and
fiiling with dust when sanding - i have found the holes are not formed
by the heat of sanding - the holes are formed from the heat of reaction
when the epoxy starts to set. to limit the bubbles try not to use to
deep a fill of epoxy. the thinner it is (3-4mm) the better and less
likely to get bubbles. also when mixing try not to mix vigoursly - fold
the two parts together.....

good luck

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

i use epoxy fairly regular - if you are getting 'holes' forming and
fiiling with dust when sanding - i have found the holes are not formed
by the heat of sanding - the holes are formed from the heat of reaction
when the epoxy starts to set. to limit the bubbles try not to use to
deep a fill of epoxy. the thinner it is (3-4mm) the better and less
likely to get bubbles. also when mixing try not to mix vigoursly - fold
the two parts together.....

good luck

You can de-air epoxy using a vacuum tank. Also, you can get rid of surface
bubbles by rapidly passing a hot-air gun set on high over the surface. Dan