Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
skidog

Default Nara??

I've been put in charge of saving a family treasure made out of "Nara".
It is a very dirty wood carving that I have since cleaned up. What oil
finish should I use to protect and bring a shine back to the wood?
Thanks for your suggestions....
Joel

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Joel

Tung oil, it has been used for centuries by the Chinese and Japanese, I
would think also on their nara wood, Lee Valley sells pure tung oil, I
would think that it would be a good choice to use, just take your time,
and let the oil polymerize, before putting on the next coat.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum12.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
skidog

Andy and Leo, thank-you for your input. I'm going to use the tung oil.
Thanks again....Joel