Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Gentle Reminder - Eleven Days

It's not to late start and get a few coats of finish dry on yours before
the day. Handful of Hershey's Kisses and a rose - good to go.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...t=06c54356.jpg

Can't get the excess yellow out, but it's quick and dirty photography.

Truth is, the convex surface of the back looks better. Isn't that always
the way?

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...t=278f0535.jpg

Now get to the shop tomorrow afternoon and do one of your own. If you've
got something thicker than a 5/4 board to work with, you can make a rimmed
box with lid. They look good, too.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:26:21 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

It's not to late start and get a few coats of finish dry on yours before
the day. Handful of Hershey's Kisses and a rose - good to go.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...t=06c54356.jpg

Can't get the excess yellow out, but it's quick and dirty photography.

Truth is, the convex surface of the back looks better. Isn't that always
the way?

http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...t=278f0535.jpg

Now get to the shop tomorrow afternoon and do one of your own. If you've
got something thicker than a 5/4 board to work with, you can make a rimmed
box with lid. They look good, too.

Love to, George... how the hell did you make it?

Bandsaw before turning? after? carved?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"mac davis" wrote in message

Love to, George... how the hell did you make it?

Bandsaw before turning? after? carved?

Before. From there it's just another interrupted-edge turning.

Key is getting a good heart pattern. I use some vector art and my computer
to make a basic heart fit the piece of wood. I work a circle on the same
pattern so that the tip of the heart and the farthest points of the curves
fall in the same plane.

Doublestick tape to the wood, and remember to make the relief cut(s) in a
few places if you're too lazy to take that 1/2 blade out of the saw.

It's perhaps a half hour in the shop, plus layout and finish. Isn't she
worth it?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

George inquired, "Isn't she worth it?"

... Yep and much, much more, but I don't hear "I love it because you
made it, Arch" said quite as sincerely and heartfelt as in years past.
She's beginning to prefer an evening in a nice restaurant to another
of my turnings, altho she has seized on and kept a zillion of them. A
rose is good, but I'm not sure Hershey's kisses or even mine will serve,
tho it won't be said.

Even so George, I'm sure going to turn one of your 'heart bowls' and I
bet many will be turned this week. Thanks for your good suggestion with
pics & instructions. No telling how many marriages you have saved.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Arch" wrote in message
George inquired, "Isn't she worth it?"

.. Yep and much, much more, but I don't hear "I love it because you
made it, Arch" said quite as sincerely and heartfelt as in years past.
She's beginning to prefer an evening in a nice restaurant to another
of my turnings, altho she has seized on and kept a zillion of them.

Well, if that isn't her thing, do as I have done and make an additional
diamond shape out of cherry, then a club and spade out of black-dyed black
ash.

Makes a nice set of dishes to pass the chocolate-covered peanuts and granola
in between bids....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 13:43:29 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .

Love to, George... how the hell did you make it?

Bandsaw before turning? after? carved?

Before. From there it's just another interrupted-edge turning.

Key is getting a good heart pattern. I use some vector art and my computer
to make a basic heart fit the piece of wood. I work a circle on the same
pattern so that the tip of the heart and the farthest points of the curves
fall in the same plane.

Doublestick tape to the wood, and remember to make the relief cut(s) in a
few places if you're too lazy to take that 1/2 blade out of the saw.

It's perhaps a half hour in the shop, plus layout and finish. Isn't she
worth it?

Great idea AND explanation, George.. thanks!

I'll give it a shot this week...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Stephen M

Love to, George... how the hell did you make it?

Bandsaw before turning? after? carved?

Before. From there it's just another interrupted-edge turning.

Newbie question he Wouldn't it make the turning easier if the badsawing
were done after? Granted, The bandsawing layout woul dbe a little tricky,
but it would probably be worth it to have a balanced uninterupted turning.
No?

What am I missing?

-Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Stephen M" wrote in message
Love to, George... how the hell did you make it?

Bandsaw before turning? after? carved?

Before. From there it's just another interrupted-edge turning.

Newbie question he Wouldn't it make the turning easier if the badsawing
were done after? Granted, The bandsawing layout woul dbe a little tricky,
but it would probably be worth it to have a balanced uninterupted turning.
No?

Since it's an easy thing to do without, hardly seems worth it.

Tippy facing up, tricky facing down because you'd need a soft pattern
curving in two directions. Suppose you could make a hard pattern, tack it
to the back and try and follow. Sometimes you want a slant with the point
on the heart more or less parallel to the base, which complicates things
even more. If you decide to do it, keep your TPI high and your feed slow.
Thin stock chips and breaks easily. When I do the club/spade stems, I leave
the area large, then cut with the scrollsaw afterward, using a plywood donut
behind for support.