Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steven Raphael

Default Outbourd turning toolrest

I own a Craftsmen 15" wood Lathe with the swivel head this allows for the
use of an outbourd turning toolrest. The problem that I am having is the the
toolrest arm that is available from Sears has a tendency to vibrate
excessively.

Does anyone here have any plans or pictures of stand alone tool rests.

Thanks
Steven Raphael
Ithaca Mi.
http://www.geocities.com/steven_raph...turnings1.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Steven Raphael" wrote in message
newsqzzf.28751$MG1.18564@trnddc05...
I own a Craftsmen 15" wood Lathe with the swivel head this allows for the
use of an outbourd turning toolrest. The problem that I am having is the
the toolrest arm that is available from Sears has a tendency to vibrate
excessively.

Does anyone here have any plans or pictures of stand alone tool rests.

Keep your cuts as light as possible. Let the wood come to the tool, and
hold the tool firmly to the rest. Concentrate on not following the
interrupted contour or you'll set up a chain of off-balance problems. I
find it best to begin in the center of the piece, where I can develop a
continuous surface rapidly, then, coming from this as a reference, I take
small bites out toward the rim, developing an ever broader base to guide the
bevel of the tool. Though it does not require it, it certainly is easier to
do these cuts with an overhand grip and a gouge as close to 90 degrees over
the rest as possible.

A stand-alone is _never_ referenced to the same steady point the lathe is.
Closest you can come is to have a rigid stand bolted to the floor for your
lathe and the same for your rest. Only variable now is residual or
introduced flex, which you can minimize by the cutting techniques above. I
favor using this
http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...t-Toolrest.jpg
over the floor rest. The game is to make the lever arm as short as possible
when using it.

The Powermatic plan featuring a swing arm rotating from a fixed position on
the end of the lathe and a post which goes all the way to the floor under
the toolrest is the best outboard I've used. Might have been on the Delta,
come to think. Go to owwm.com and check out some old lathe pictures.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jack

What about providing support undet the outboard tool rest?

Jack

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Steven
I have the same lathe and am using my Record Bowl Lathe tool rest with it.
The stand is a tripod arrangement and I am thinking of building a dedicated
replacement for it. If I do I will post it here.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate