Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
keith

Default Finishes for goblets and friut bowls

I am still new to the craft of wood turning and am a bit puzzled to
what finish that i could use on any item witch will hold or store food
and at the same time protect the wood and give a high gloss finnish.

Many thanks and safe turning!!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Keith,

There really is no finish that will stay exactly as when applied if the
goblets and fruit bowls are going to be used. Over time any finish
will need re-applying. If you look at all the really beautiful old
bowls and goblets, they didn't have any finish as we know it. Wipe
good with walnut oil (or similar oil) and a buffing with the Beale
system should do it. Over time and use, if you feel it necessary,
apply a little oil to keep the wood from dying out.

If you go to www.woodcentral.com and find "Russ's Corner", you can read
all about finishes. Russ Fairfield is a welll-known expert on
finishes of all sorts and has written articles for Fine Woodworking and
other wood magazines and websites. He explains the nature,
ingredients and characteristics of all the finishes on the market.

Take care,
Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com .

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am still new to the craft of wood turning and am a bit puzzled to
what finish that i could use on any item witch will hold or store food
and at the same time protect the wood and give a high gloss finnish.

Many thanks and safe turning!!

Lacquer or Urethane plastic probably be easiest, with epoxy the best choice.
And make that food dry, or put it in only short-term. The liquid will find
a way through, somehow.

Food safety is a subjective evaluation, like the efficacy of the two alcohol
soaking methods being discussed. Scientifically it's difficult to find any
common wood finish which, if ingested, will be digested. Makes 'em all
"safe," in the intestine, but not in the heart.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

On 8 Jan 2006 07:26:31 -0800, "keith"
wrote:

I am still new to the craft of wood turning and am a bit puzzled to
what finish that i could use on any item witch will hold or store food
and at the same time protect the wood and give a high gloss finnish.

I have a little purpleheart bowl that I use every day that has 6 or 8
coats of water-based poly, I believe it is. (It _ has_ been over 5
years, after all.) The bowl is about 5 1/5 years old and looks
great.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com