Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
big pete

Default comment on turning apple wood

Hey Guys

I recently got to huge apple trees from a farmer down the road. I have
rough turned about 8 or 9 so far. For the lack of a better word the
wood is sopping wet. ( it's about -20 C here in Ontario right now) I
have never seen winter wood so wet. I am experienced in turning green
wood. Does any one have experience in apple wood. Any thing you can
give would be appreciated. Is it stable, any special drying techniques
out of the ordinary.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

"big pete" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey Guys

I recently got to huge apple trees from a farmer down the road. I have
rough turned about 8 or 9 so far. For the lack of a better word the
wood is sopping wet. ( it's about -20 C here in Ontario right now) I
have never seen winter wood so wet. I am experienced in turning green
wood. Does any one have experience in apple wood. Any thing you can
give would be appreciated. Is it stable, any special drying techniques
out of the ordinary.

Thanks in advance

Seek the wonders of LDD. Excellent for keeping apple and other fruit woods
from cracking! *G*

Leif

Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Peter
Do not turn your back, the apple will split. Rough turn, anchorseal, set to
dry and pray for the best. The wood is gorgeous, a pleasure to turn, and
moves like a dream. It is great stuff for hollow turning as it ovals so
well. Sure some of it splits, but that is either a design feature or the
creator of some of the most beautiful looking and smelling kindling on
earth. I have been turning some lately and love it.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Thom Sayles

I just got some apple also ( alive and somewhat wet last week) and I have
turned 5 bowls in the last week from it. I am experimenting with a short
dunk in alcohol ( a couple of hours) then a couple of short zaps in the
microwave ( 2minutes and cool down). It gets the surface dry enough to
sand, So I sand it thru the grits to 320. I immediately slather on by hand
deft that is thinned 50/50. It still feels heavy and wet but it dries
slowly. I goes oval and gets little cracks around the knots. This gives it
character. The next 4 or 5 days I give it a sprayed on coat (each day) of
50/50 thinned deft after each coat from the day before dries. I wet sand
with 1500 grit between coats. It really shines after 4 or 5 coats and
gradually gets lighter in weight as it dries through the deft. It is
usually sold within the 2nd week. Works for me.