Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Sherfey

Default How does wood spalt?

I took a trunk of cherry that was cut down from the local bank . Not very
thick...about 8". When I turned my wife a small dish to put her rings in
when she does "raw meat" and etc., it had this awsome spalt to it. It had
just been cut down and I hadn't noticed any signs of distress before. (go
to bank weekly}. I think this was a healthy tree cut down for improvment .
Any reason for so much spalting?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Sherfey

P.S. I am glad it does.
"Sherfey" wrote in message
I took a trunk of cherry that was cut down from the local bank . Not

very
thick...about 8". When I turned my wife a small dish to put her rings in
when she does "raw meat" and etc., it had this awsome spalt to it. It had
just been cut down and I hadn't noticed any signs of distress before. (go
to bank weekly}. I think this was a healthy tree cut down for improvment

..
Any reason for so much spalting?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bjarte Runderheim

"Sherfey" wrote in message
P.S. I am glad it does.
"Sherfey" wrote in message
I took a trunk of cherry that was cut down from the local bank . Not

very
thick...about 8". When I turned my wife a small dish to put her rings in
when she does "raw meat" and etc., it had this awsome spalt to it. It
had
just been cut down and I hadn't noticed any signs of distress before.
(go
to bank weekly}. I think this was a healthy tree cut down for improvment

.
Any reason for so much spalting?

Spalting is a growth of several fungi in the wood after it is dead.
It takes som dampness and warmth to develop.

Bjarte

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph

"Sherfey" wrote in message

I took a trunk of cherry that was cut down from the local bank . Not

very

thick...about 8". When I turned my wife a small dish to put her rings in
when she does "raw meat" and etc., it had this awsome spalt to it. It
had
just been cut down and I hadn't noticed any signs of distress before.
(go
to bank weekly}. I think this was a healthy tree cut down for improvment

.

Any reason for so much spalting?

Spalting is a growth of several fungi in the wood after it is dead.
It takes som dampness and warmth to develop.

Bjarte

It does not necessarly have to be dead to spalt. The fungi growth can
occur in a sick or damaged tree as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It does not necessarly have to be dead to spalt. The fungi growth
can
occur in a sick or damaged tree as well.

Absolutely. I have seen a lot of spalting in pecan due to borers and
wood peckers. When I trimmed my otherwise healthy pecan trees in my
back yard, the spalting was where the woodpeckers had made a nest, and
where the borers had gotten inside.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Cherry is one of those woods that is prone to "pitch pockets". This is a
black discoloration that might be confused with spalting.

Barry