Arch

Default Musing about ten 'Other Hands' (long and you've heard it allbefore)

1. Can answering short excerpts of a post alter context and confuse the
meaning or intention of the post? Are 'naked replies' a problem too?
OTOH: Repeats of a long post in its entirety are probably not reread,
waste bandwidth and might be more confusing than a reply with no
extracts.

2. Is humor at the expense of another ever a good thing? OTOH: RCW
might be a good thing for the chronically misunderstood by filling their
unmet need to hurt someone.

3. Does appeal to authority always get it right? Can excessive
preoccupation with physics, techniques, and instructions (ratcheting
1,2.3,4..... lay proper tool on rest - adjust bevel - lift handle -
cut, shear, scrape) restrict the free flowing of hand held tools and
spoil spontaneity and instinct for shaping wood? OTOH: We can save much
time and reduce errors of both omission and commission by learning from
those who learned something yesterday, a step ahead of us.

4.Does a 'plastic shine' insult Ma Nature and spoil or demean wood's
inherent beauty? OTOH: Seems everyone except a few misguided;
friends, family and customers alike, prefers a shiny bowl.

5. Does using too many tools and gadgets slow us down and confuse us?
OTOH: How are we going to know if we don't try something new, besides we
all own more tools than we use.

6. Does fear of litigation affect the way we teach or advise and the
things we make to sell or give away? OTOH: Best be careful, avarice and
the legal system rule and it's risky out there.

7. Do private e-mails re topics on rcw sometimes deprive the rest of us
of helpful discourse? OTOH: Private affairs are private and
interpersonal affairs are interesting only to the e-mailers or a few
gossipers.

8. Is buying things we can turn or make ourselves, like tool handles,
plastic washers, taper cleaners and burning wires wasteful and
counterproductive? OTOH:
If you are a busy production turner, or a hobbyist with a demanding job
and family, time is of the essence.

9. Is a tape, book, web site or article that can be reviewed many times
in comfort at home better than expensive and tiring travel, overpriced
concession food and hefty admission fees? We hope to see and hear good
turners, who are good teachers in spite of the incessant loud asides,
questions that are pompous statements or OT arguments. SRO rooms,
inadequate audiovisuals and interposed assistants don't help. OTOH: It's
good to recharge our batteries, get out of the rut, socialize with peers
and examine catalog items up close and real.

10. Would time spent writing, reading and answering lengthy essays or
musings on rcw that don't teach how to turn wood, be better spent at a
blog or in the shop? Are multiple posts with never a pic like a dim day
without sunshine? OTOH: ?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

George

"Arch" wrote in message
3. Can excessive
preoccupation with physics, techniques, and instructions (ratcheting
1,2.3,4..... lay proper tool on rest - adjust bevel - lift handle -
cut, shear, scrape) restrict the free flowing of hand held tools and
spoil spontaneity and instinct for shaping wood?

Might, but it can also embed a wayward piece in your chop if you try to defy
those laws. No lawyer can get you off, either....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bjarte Runderheim

"Arch" wrote in message
1. Can answering short excerpts of a post alter context and confuse the
meaning or intention of the post? Are 'naked replies' a problem too?
OTOH: Repeats of a long post in its entirety are probably not reread,
waste bandwidth and might be more confusing than a reply with no
extracts.

I do not think this is a general problem. Why? Because most people read
the initial statement before they go to the answers, and their amputated
citing. Therefore it is good for both bandwidth and economy of all sorts
to restrict cited passages to that which clarifies the extent of your
reaction.

To sort among long passages to find fragmented ansers is a drag.

2. Is humor at the expense of another ever a good thing?

In my humble opinion, never.
All jokes at the expense of somebody else is bad.
Even George Bush ought to have the right to a - - - ?

Oh, well.

4.Does a 'plastic shine' insult Ma Nature and spoil or demean wood's
inherent beauty? OTOH: Seems everyone except a few misguided;
friends, family and customers alike, prefers a shiny bowl.

No!!

But lacquer or plastic on a piece intended for use, - - - !

5. Does using too many tools and gadgets slow us down and confuse us?

If you try to use everything for anything?

OTOH: How are we going to know if we don't try something new, besides we
all own more tools than we use.

I normally depend on 5 or 6 different irons. Still, I have about 12 or 13
(?)
on my rack by the lathe. All of them are used once or twice during the week.
But then, I have some curious and some old and some lousy irons in a drawer.
I never think of selling them thoug. Wonder why?

6. Does fear of litigation affect the way we teach or advise and the
things we make to sell or give away? OTOH: Best be careful, avarice and
the legal system rule and it's risky out there.

No, but then I am not affected by US law (thank god?) and in my
corner of the world such problems as you indicate simply don't exist.

(Just today a woman who has slipped on the ice outside a supermarket
and broken an arm and some other small bones was denied compensation
in a high court on the grounds that such compensation never has been
given in similar cases before.
- Bare ice, no sand or anything done to reduce risk from the supermarkets
side, even though the law says it is their duty to secure pavement and
entrance.
Wonder how much an american lawyer
could have got for her?)

9. Is a tape, book, web site or article that can be reviewed many times
in comfort at home better than expensive and tiring travel, overpriced
concession food and hefty admission fees? We hope to see and hear good
turners, who are good teachers in spite of the incessant loud asides,
questions that are pompous statements or OT arguments. SRO rooms,
inadequate audiovisuals and interposed assistants don't help. OTOH: It's
good to recharge our batteries, get out of the rut, socialize with peers
and examine catalog items up close and real.

No tape, book or web site can replace the factual, hands on demo and /
or practice. If they could, I would be a world champion turner by now!
I am not. (As if you didn't know:-)

10. Would time spent writing, reading and answering lengthy essays or
musings on rcw that don't teach how to turn wood, be better spent at a
blog or in the shop? Are multiple posts with never a pic like a dim day
without sunshine? OTOH: ?

No, you got to take the weight off those feet once in a while,
and what better to do than to check out what other turner think and do,
and maybe try to put some words on it yourself, onc in between?
(Ok, I know I'm shooting my mouth off enough!-)

You are a real help in making those thoughts fly, Arch!
Wish you could also make me a more efficient turner:-)

Bjarte