DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Roughing (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/117668-roughing.html)

Jeff August 20th 05 05:16 AM

Roughing

I've been turning some dry ash branches (firewood), about 4-5 inches in
diameter, for between-centers practice. And I was curious: what do you
experienced turners use to rough out such stock? I have a 1/2" bowl gouge
with what could best be described as an Ellsworth-type grind, and I also
have a couple of more traditional shallow roughing gouges. Oddly enough the
Ellsworth bowl gouge does a far better job of roughing the bark and knots
off the branch sections than the roughing gouges. The answer seems obvious,
but I was curious--why, if an Ellsworth-type gouge is superior for roughing,
do the traditional shallow roughing gouges even exist? Apparently the
answer is not quite so simple. I'd love to hear from others on this.

Jeff

Owen Lowe August 20th 05 06:22 AM

In article t,
"Jeff" wrote:

if an Ellsworth-type gouge is superior for roughing,
do the traditional shallow roughing gouges even exist?

Are you sure what you're calling a "shallow roughing gouge" is a true
roughing gouge? My 3/4" roughing gouge has about 3/4" flute depth - not
shallow to in my mind. Here's a true roughing gouge:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...ction&key=161-
4466

These are generally sharpened with a fairly steep bevel - on the order
of 45 degrees or steeper. I'm thinking you're really using a
spindle-type gouge which usually has a much longer bevel - like 30
degrees:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...ction&key=161-
1150

You are likely getting a superior cut with the bowl gouge because the
bevel ground on the nose is pretty steep at 50-60 degrees. Due to the
angle of the bevel, you are making a cutting action with the bowl gouge
rather than more of a scraping action the spindle gouge yields - unless
you use the two tool types at very different angles on the tool rest.
(Holding the spindle gouge with the handle much, much lower so the bevel
is more tangential to the wood surface.)

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm

[email protected] August 20th 05 06:59 AM

what do you
experienced turners use to rough out such stock?

I almost always use the roughing gouge that Owen shows on his first
link if I am roughing down an actual log/branch. In fact, I use that
exact one. Ground correctly, I can make very short work or rounding
out a really nasty log, and it has the blade mass to chew through
knots, bark inclusions, etc. with no problem.

Actually, when it is cutting well, I am reluctant to put it down. Once
you get your grind established, you can turn off some pretty nice
curlies with it.

Robert

George August 20th 05 01:03 PM

"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...
I've been turning some dry ash branches (firewood), about 4-5 inches in
diameter, for between-centers practice. And I was curious: what do you
experienced turners use to rough out such stock? I have a 1/2" bowl gouge
with what could best be described as an Ellsworth-type grind, and I also
have a couple of more traditional shallow roughing gouges. Oddly enough
the Ellsworth bowl gouge does a far better job of roughing the bark and
knots off the branch sections than the roughing gouges. The answer seems
obvious, but I was curious--why, if an Ellsworth-type gouge is superior
for roughing, do the traditional shallow roughing gouges even exist?
Apparently the answer is not quite so simple. I'd love to hear from
others on this.

Answer is you know how to work the one, but not the other.

Shallow forged gouges exist because a large-radius gouge can get more bevel
to guide on the work for the same depth of cut than a small radius. What
most people do by turning their bowl gouges up on their tails and leaning
them against the rest, the shallow types do while fully supported at near 90
degrees. Almost impossible to get a catch in a bowl with that much bevel
guiding, and a constant bevel angle as well.

Everyone develops favorite tools for an operation. Matter of style and
preference, but try other patterns as you turn to learn how they work.
Might just avoid one of those "why is it I never thought of that" (head
slap) moments down the road when someone teaches you another way.

Barry N. Turner August 20th 05 02:10 PM

I think you have discovered one of the attractions of the Ellsworth Gouge
(and other side grind gouges)..........they are very versatile and can be
used very successfully for many, many different cuts. If I had to give up
all my gouges save one, I'd hang on to the Ellsworth.

Barry

k.net...

Jeff August 20th 05 04:46 PM

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
In article t,
"Jeff" wrote:

[...]

I couldn't get the pages on the links to come up (my security is probably
set too stringently), but I looked them up in the catalog nonetheless. My
roughing gouge is about the same: a 1 1/2" gouge with a 3/4" flute depth
and ground to about 45 to 50 degrees. This geometry is, IMHO, rather a
shallow gouge when compared with the deep profile of the Ellsworth-type. My
Ellsworth gouge is ground with about the same angle, or slightly steeper,
maybe about 60 degrees. I'm using either gouge with the bevel rubbing as
much as possible. Ellsworth, in his DVD, likes to rough out stock with the
gouge level, in other words with something between a scraping cut and a
bevel-rubbing cut. I tried this but with somewhat less success than bevel
rubbing, ie--dropping the handle somewhat.

Does this info help?

Jeff

Jeff August 20th 05 04:53 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
what do you

experienced turners use to rough out such stock?

I almost always use the roughing gouge that Owen shows on his first
link if I am roughing down an actual log/branch. In fact, I use that
exact one. Ground correctly, I can make very short work or rounding
out a really nasty log, and it has the blade mass to chew through
knots, bark inclusions, etc. with no problem.

Actually, when it is cutting well, I am reluctant to put it down. Once
you get your grind established, you can turn off some pretty nice
curlies with it.

Robert,

Mine is a Henry Taylor 1.5" roughing gouge, which has fair mass and probably
has been reground somewhat more steeply than it was from the factory. I
bought it second hand with about 1" of the original flute missing due to
years of sharpening by the previous owner. Still it is a good tool and
worth keeping. I just wish I got better results with it than with my
Ellsworth-type bowl gouge. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I try to
keep the bevel rubbing as much as possible. Is this an improper way to use
this tool?

Jeff

Jeff August 20th 05 05:00 PM

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

I'm not exactly sure what you're implying, but I will try some other angles
and approaches to the stock. I guess my redundant question is: should I
rub the bevel of a roughing gouge, or approach the work with the tool
horizontal to the spindle center?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff August 20th 05 05:05 PM

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I think you have discovered one of the attractions of the Ellsworth Gouge
(and other side grind gouges)..........they are very versatile and can be
used very successfully for many, many different cuts. If I had to give up
all my gouges save one, I'd hang on to the Ellsworth.

At this point that would be my position as well, Barry. Others have
suggested some changes to my technique with the roughing gouge, which I hope
will improve my performance. But the Ellsworth grind is hard to fault for a
great many things. After watching Ellsworth's DVD I've learned to scrape,
shear scrape, do something not unlike skew cutting, and of course using the
tool as a typical bowl gouge. It's a shear joy (no pun intended) to watch
long ribbons of shavings fly off wet wood. I love the thing.

Jeff

George August 20th 05 08:36 PM

"Jeff" wrote in message
.net...
I'm not exactly sure what you're implying, but I will try some other
angles and approaches to the stock. I guess my redundant question is:
should I rub the bevel of a roughing gouge, or approach the work with the
tool horizontal to the spindle center?

Yes.

Some like to use the wing of the U as a tenon-sizer, hugging the toolrest
and entering above centerline with a bit of handle-down angle which
effectively rubs the bevel along the axis of rotation. Think of your
parting tool.

Others use the standard cutting method just at or above centerline which
goes A-B-C.

Anchor the tool to the rest.
Bevel to the work - heel to toe.
Cut by moving the handle to lift the rear of the bevel as the tool is moved
along the axis to enter and remove a curl.

With a roughing gouge you can tilt the "ear" to follow the cut, making a
surface as smooth as any made by a skew.

Note, that the presence of the curl is what tells you you're cutting rather
than scraping. That, and minimal lift on the handle of the gouge.

Owen Lowe August 20th 05 09:00 PM

In article . net,
"Jeff" wrote:

I couldn't get the pages on the links to come up (my security is probably
set too stringently), but I looked them up in the catalog nonetheless. My
roughing gouge is about the same: a 1 1/2" gouge with a 3/4" flute depth
and ground to about 45 to 50 degrees. This geometry is, IMHO, rather a
shallow gouge when compared with the deep profile of the Ellsworth-type. My
Ellsworth gouge is ground with about the same angle, or slightly steeper,
maybe about 60 degrees. I'm using either gouge with the bevel rubbing as
much as possible. Ellsworth, in his DVD, likes to rough out stock with the
gouge level, in other words with something between a scraping cut and a
bevel-rubbing cut. I tried this but with somewhat less success than bevel
rubbing, ie--dropping the handle somewhat.

Hi Jeff. It sounds like you know a roughing gouge from a spindle gouge
so I'll just offer a couple additional comments.

I'd try reshaping the roughing gouge to a steeper bevel - like 60
degrees and see if that changes things.

There's absolutely no reason you can't or shouldn't use your bowl gouge
to rough out though it does mean more sharpenings on a more expensive
tool. I've used my swept-back gouge for this purpose too, but there are
advantages to using a true roughing gouge for this type of work. The
longer cutting edge offers a longer time between sharpenings removing
the very abrasive bark and hard knot stumps as one can roll the tool one
way or the other to get a fresh edge. Along the lines of what Robert
(nailshooter) mentioned, once the wood is trued you can also more easily
use the roughing gouge to quickly and fluidly reduce the bulk of the
wood to the form you're after. The bowl gouge's comparatively small nose
and swept-back geometry doesn't lend itself to that as well.

In comparing the cut quality of the two tools, you may be seeing the
effects of the smaller bite of the bowl gouge which likely leads to less
tear out of the rough, irregular surface. Once the circumference is
trued though, the roughing gouge can yield a very smooth and cleanly cut
surface.

Jeff August 20th 05 10:23 PM

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message

[...]

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon roughing out a couple of ash branch
sections. While I didn't immediately notice any improvement in the speed of
roughing the stock to cylinder form with the roughing gouge used as
recommended by you and others, you are absolutely correct in the surface
quality differences between the bowl gouge and the roughing gouge. I took a
little additional time to see what level of surface I could obtain with some
judicious use of the roughing gouge after a quick honing, and liked the
results. My roughing gouge is an older one, bought second hand, and missing
about an inch of the flute, having been ground away by its previous owner
over the years. Perhaps the one thing I'd like to have is a newer, longer
roughing gouge with a bit more mass to dampen the roughing process a bit
more. I think this might be one reason I tended to prefer the Ellsworth
gouge--it is long, relatively massive, and takes a smaller bite, thus
lessening the tendency to bounce on the rest despite an
under-the-rest-and-over-the-tool grip.

Thanks to Owen and the rest of you for your advice. The learning curve is
fairly steep at this stage, and every detail helps.

Jeff

George August 20th 05 11:28 PM

"Jeff" wrote in message
nk.net...
Perhaps the one thing I'd like to have is a newer, longer
roughing gouge with a bit more mass to dampen the roughing process a bit
more. I think this might be one reason I tended to prefer the Ellsworth
gouge--it is long, relatively massive, and takes a smaller bite, thus
lessening the tendency to bounce on the rest despite an
under-the-rest-and-over-the-tool grip.

Thanks to Owen and the rest of you for your advice. The learning curve is
fairly steep at this stage, and every detail helps.

Would you like a picture of how to approach an irregular shape with a
roughing gouge? It should _never_ bounce on the rest, and once the piece is
pretty well round, you should be able to lift one hand - either one - and
continue the cut. It's in the angles.

Jeff August 21st 05 03:14 AM

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
nk.net...
Perhaps the one thing I'd like to have is a newer, longer
roughing gouge with a bit more mass to dampen the roughing process a bit
more. I think this might be one reason I tended to prefer the Ellsworth
gouge--it is long, relatively massive, and takes a smaller bite, thus
lessening the tendency to bounce on the rest despite an
under-the-rest-and-over-the-tool grip.

Thanks to Owen and the rest of you for your advice. The learning curve
is fairly steep at this stage, and every detail helps.

Would you like a picture of how to approach an irregular shape with a
roughing gouge? It should _never_ bounce on the rest, and once the piece
is pretty well round, you should be able to lift one hand - either one -
and continue the cut. It's in the angles.

A photo would be appreciated and helpful. Perhaps "bouncing isn't quite the
right term. It's probably more like pulsing in and out across the rest as
the irregular shape pushes the gouge away and then my grip pushes it back.
Even when the stock is fairly round I still get some "pulsing."

Jeff

Jeff August 21st 05 03:25 AM

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
. ..
"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

The Ellsworth grind is not radically different from other side grinds I've
tried, but it certainly does function differently. I've produced enough wet
pine shavings over the past month to become a serious supplier of stall
bedding for a couple of friends with horses. There is something therapeutic
about watching long tendrils of pine streaking away at high velocity from
the flute in that gouge. My wife has accused me of making shavings, not
turnings. Mea culpa, I suppose.

Jeff

Owen Lowe August 21st 05 07:37 AM

In article . net,
"Jeff" wrote:

A photo would be appreciated and helpful. Perhaps "bouncing isn't quite the
right term. It's probably more like pulsing in and out across the rest as
the irregular shape pushes the gouge away and then my grip pushes it back.
Even when the stock is fairly round I still get some "pulsing."

I'm likely going to catch hell from some for suggesting this...

Make sure the wood is secure on the lathe and then turn the speed up a
bit more. It sounds like you're going a bit slow and the tool is
advancing into the voids of the irregular surface, resulting in a
forceful impact when the void passes and you're back into wood. This
will inevitably cause a bigger bite than intended and a more torn
surface. Although you can feel this sort of thing with most speeds if
you're pushing in too much and not allowing the tool to cut at its own
rate, it's very noticeable when in the slower RPM ranges.

Just to give an idea of what speed I'm talking about, for a 3"-4",
bark-on piece I'd be in the 1200-1800 range. (If your lathe is walking
around your shop from the unbalanced wood or if it just feels like too
much vibration to hold the tool steady and controllably, back off the
RPMs a tad until things smooth out to a reasonable degree.)

Do you glance at the top of the spinning wood to watch the cut proceed?
If not, with practice you'll find it's a good place to judge the
progress of the tool and the developing form. If you do already, then
try to only take off about 1/16" - 1/8" of wood per traversing pass.
Especially with roughing, you want the cut to be shallow until you
almost eliminate all the high spots and the piece is trued.

George August 21st 05 12:20 PM

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...

A photo would be appreciated and helpful. Perhaps "bouncing isn't quite
the right term. It's probably more like pulsing in and out across the
rest as the irregular shape pushes the gouge away and then my grip pushes
it back. Even when the stock is fairly round I still get some "pulsing."

Glad to hear it isn't bouncing. Contactus interruptus is of course always
going to be there until the surface is round. Some folks never get to
round because they keep trying to stuff the tool into the work instead of
letting the work come to them. Your gouge doesn't need mass, in the proper
cutting configuration it's laying on a fixed support with your hand on it
for coarse control. The B step consists not in laying the bevel to the
interrupted surface, but matching the bevel to the slope of the surface,
making the same entry cut as you would on a round piece once you feel a bit
of contact. That way you cut away most of what would make it bounce.

I'm going to be down in the shop after eleven, so I'll try to pop a couple
pictures of spindle rounding the way I teach it. Loss of drive took away
most of my previous photos.

Bill Rubenstein August 21st 05 12:30 PM

You might also want to look at your technique. Your upper hand, the one
on the tool rest should act as a depth gauge while turning. It should
be held against some part of the rest and not allow the tool to go where
it wants to go.

Some rests have a hollow on the back side which makes a perfect place to
use an index finger for the purpose. Most rests, though, are
mis-designed in my opinion.

Also, use body English to move the tool, not your hands. Lock your
elbows against your body.

Also, I don't think 'traversing passes' is the way to go to get a blank
round. It is more... (I'll describe it for right-handed)

Take a small scoop from the left end of the blank, scooping to the left
and with the gouge rolled to the left.

Back up to the right a little and take another scoop, the same way.
Work from the left end of the blank to the right. This speeds removal
of the material and also if there is any grain which might lift out, it
won't lift more than a short distance. With a little practice this
motion will become natural even though it is not at first.

When you are near round, then you can start traversing passes to finish.

Bill

Jeff August 21st 05 07:08 PM

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
You might also want to look at your technique. Your upper hand, the one
on the tool rest should act as a depth gauge while turning. It should be
held against some part of the rest and not allow the tool to go where it
wants to go.

Some rests have a hollow on the back side which makes a perfect place to
use an index finger for the purpose. Most rests, though, are mis-designed
in my opinion.

Also, use body English to move the tool, not your hands. Lock your elbows
against your body.

I rough out pretty much the way you've described above, index finger under
the rest, thumb on top of the tool in a tight grip, handle against my torso
just above the hip, lean my body away from the direction the gouge is
progressing, but as Owen implied I am using about 400 to 600 rpm. His
recommendation of higher speed will be worth a try.

Also, I don't think 'traversing passes' is the way to go to get a blank
round. It is more... (I'll describe it for right-handed)

Take a small scoop from the left end of the blank, scooping to the left
and with the gouge rolled to the left.

Back up to the right a little and take another scoop, the same way. Work
from the left end of the blank to the right. This speeds removal of the
material and also if there is any grain which might lift out, it won't
lift more than a short distance. With a little practice this motion will
become natural even though it is not at first.

I've tended to do the Raffan method, right end to left, but I'll give this a
try.

When you are near round, then you can start traversing passes to finish.

Thanks, Bill.

Jeff

Jeff August 21st 05 07:18 PM

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Jeff" wrote:

[...]

My lathe is a Jet 1442 with about 200 extra pounds of sand added to a
plywood shelf between the legs. It pretty much stays put, the sole
exception being when I attempted to rough out a 16" piece of wet hard maple
bowl stock while the headstock was turned 45 degrees to the ways. Big
mistake--I couldn't get to the off switch quickly enough before the lathe
began to dance. Chastened, I won't attempt anything that large without it
being between centers for roughing, meaning I'll need a larger lathe
eventually.

I will give the higher speed a try. I've thought about it, but never
attempted it, knowing what the pros say about roughing at higher speeds.
Anything, however, is worth a try, at least during the learning process.

Do you glance at the top of the spinning wood to watch the cut proceed?
If not, with practice you'll find it's a good place to judge the
progress of the tool and the developing form. If you do already, then
try to only take off about 1/16" - 1/8" of wood per traversing pass.
Especially with roughing, you want the cut to be shallow until you
almost eliminate all the high spots and the piece is trued.

--
Owen Lowe

I try to keep the cut as shallow as possible, mostly because I'm still a bit
afraid to attempt deeper cuts, especially with very dry stock. With wet
wood I seem to be able to apply more force toward the stock with impunity.
I guess it seems intuitive to glance at the top of the wood to judge the
process of roughing or even finer turning. I've always done that.

Jeff

Jeff August 21st 05 07:21 PM

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Thanks, George. A photo, as they say, is worth many words. And a DVD is
almost like being there.
:-)

Jeff

Bill Rubenstein August 21st 05 07:21 PM

Actually, I turn left handed most of the time so I described the method
of taking small scoops out of the blank the opposite of the way I do it.

The important part is the small scoops so that if you raise a piece of
grain it won't split out to the end of the blank but will stop at the
next 'scoop'.

Bill

mac davis August 21st 05 08:21 PM

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:08:45 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

[...]

Very much like "nibbling" with a saber/jig saw.. I find myself doing it around
the outside-bottom edge of bowl blanks that aren't quite round when you get to
the edge.. sort of sneak up on them a little at a time.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis August 21st 05 08:29 PM

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:18:20 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Jeff" wrote:

[...]

Jeff.. I have the same lathe and love it, though I wish it would turn a bit
slower for some work...

As to more speed, I tend to do this IF the rough blank or whatever is pretty
balanced... as you said, it's hard to turn accurately when you're chasing the
lathe all over the shop *g*

I remember reading a section on Bill Grumbine's page about turning a natural
edge bowl..
http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/naturaledge.html

He mentioned that in some cases, he felt safer at higher speeds, because if he
got a catch, the time his chisel was in contact with the wood was shorter...

If anyone but Bill had said that, I'd be thinking "fuzzy logic", but since I
want to be like him if I grow up, I'll believe it.. YMMV

George August 21st 05 09:53 PM

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

http://georgephoto.photosite.com/GeorgeTurns/ Had my Son-in-law take a
series for me. He and the daughter are over so we can put together the
doors for their downstairs display cabinet. Cut the cope/mold and glue up
two more every 45 minutes. Only two sets of Besseys. Black ash, and quite
handsome.

I do not advocate increasing speed. It will make it easier to chop the
wood, or saw off with a less-than sharp gouge, as you can see in pictures
eight and nine, where I grabbed a medium-dull forged gouge to show that
attack angle, since you mentioned it. Picture seven shows the side scrape,
which is fine for sizing tenons and such, but produces a sad surface. All
taken at 650 rpm, which is fine. I use 650 for the 1/8 icecicles on
ornaments, and roughing 10" bowls too, because cutting wood doesn't take a
lot of energy - if the tool's presented right.

Picture five demonstrates the swing to make coves technique, and the obvious
difficulty encountered when you find you're not running downhill any more.
Of course, this is a chunk of red oak, which is going to show a tear if you
get the slightest bit out of line. Other woods are friendlier on uphill
cuts, though none of them like it..

So, look at one through four, captions come up when highlighted, and use the
whittling method shown there. If you catch the guy on DiY, he gives the
reasons for establishing and maintaining a downhill all along the blank.
Just plain makes sense

Jeff August 23rd 05 01:30 AM

"mac davis" wrote in message

Jeff.. I have the same lathe and love it, though I wish it would turn a
bit
slower for some work...

I figure it will make buying the next lathe--one with an electronic VS
drive--all that much sweeter. It's rather like a kid forced to drive a Yugo
prior to getting his first real car.

As to more speed, I tend to do this IF the rough blank or whatever is
pretty
balanced... as you said, it's hard to turn accurately when you're chasing
the
lathe all over the shop *g*

I remember reading a section on Bill Grumbine's page about turning a
natural
edge bowl..
http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/naturaledge.html

He mentioned that in some cases, he felt safer at higher speeds, because
if he
got a catch, the time his chisel was in contact with the wood was
shorter...

If anyone but Bill had said that, I'd be thinking "fuzzy logic", but since
want to be like him if I grow up, I'll believe it.. YMMV

I tried roughing at about 850 rpm instead of 450, and voila ! it simply
worked better in all respects. Less pulsing of the tool against the
out-of-round stock, faster cutting, and less tendency to catch, which had
been happening periodically at 450 rpm. That said, the branch chunks I've
been roughing are not too out-of-round, or 850 might have been a bit too
fast.

I like the 1442 as well. For the money I think it's tough to beat. A great
beginner's lathe with the ability to keep an experienced turner from
complaining too loudly.

Jeff

Jeff August 23rd 05 01:39 AM

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, George. Great set of photos, and very helpful. As an aside, I
tried 850 rpm instead of 450 today for roughing and everything went better.
That said, my Ellsworth gouge still does a faster, better job of roughing
than my 1.5" roughing gouge. I have no idea why, as I think I'm presenting
each properly now, but that's just the way things seem to be. Now I have to
figure out how to use a skew properly. Raffan makes it look so easy, and
I'm struggling.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Patriarch August 23rd 05 03:03 AM

"Jeff" wrote in
k.net:

snip Now I have to figure out how to use a skew properly.
Raffan makes it look so easy, and I'm struggling.

Thanks again.

Jeff

See if you can find one or more of Alan Lacer's videos on the use of the
skew...

Patriarch

Jeff August 23rd 05 05:38 AM

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Jeff" wrote in
k.net:

snip Now I have to figure out how to use a skew properly.
Raffan makes it look so easy, and I'm struggling.

Thanks again.

Jeff

See if you can find one or more of Alan Lacer's videos on the use of the
skew...

Patriarch

Both Packard and Craft Supplies sells them. Are they really that
significantly better than Richard Raffan's treatise on the skew?

Jeff

Owen Lowe August 23rd 05 08:02 AM

In article t,
"Jeff" wrote:

Both Packard and Craft Supplies sells them. Are they really that
significantly better than Richard Raffan's treatise on the skew?

A resounding YES! At least the first one, "The Skew Chisel". I haven't
seen the second tape yet, "Son of Skew".

George August 23rd 05 11:31 AM

"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...

See if you can find one or more of Alan Lacer's videos on the use of the
skew...

Patriarch

Both Packard and Craft Supplies sells them. Are they really that
significantly better than Richard Raffan's treatise on the skew?

Better yet, find or make a good beading tool. Never could figure out why
they aren't in the standard tool kit. Skew's a great planing tool, but at
trims and beads, second-rate.

Jeff August 24th 05 05:10 AM

"George" George@least wrote in message

Better yet, find or make a good beading tool. Never could figure out why
they aren't in the standard tool kit. Skew's a great planing tool, but at
trims and beads, second-rate.

Having spent only about half an hour with a skew, I'm convinced it is
worthless. Of course this assessment can mean only one thing: I have no
idea how to use a skew. I can get a reasonably smooth cylinder, but
attempting to face endgrain or to make beads has been less than successful.
Raffan makes it look sooo easy. Could my skew be ground wrong? It is very
sharp, but has some hollow aspect to the bevels. Is it absolutely necessary
to hone the bevels until you've got some flats on them? And would I be
better off with a slightly curved edge, rather than a straight one?

Sorry for all the questions.

Jeff

George August 24th 05 11:22 AM

"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...

"George" George@least wrote in message

Better yet, find or make a good beading tool. Never could figure out why
they aren't in the standard tool kit. Skew's a great planing tool, but
at trims and beads, second-rate.

Having spent only about half an hour with a skew, I'm convinced it is
worthless. Of course this assessment can mean only one thing: I have no
idea how to use a skew. I can get a reasonably smooth cylinder, but
attempting to face endgrain or to make beads has been less than
successful. Raffan makes it look sooo easy. Could my skew be ground
wrong? It is very sharp, but has some hollow aspect to the bevels. Is it
absolutely necessary to hone the bevels until you've got some flats on
them? And would I be better off with a slightly curved edge, rather than
a straight one?

Nope, you've described the strengths and weaknesses of the skew to a "T".

With that nose hanging over, you have to cut down _and _ in nearly
simultaneously to avoid a spiral. When you use it nose up, of course, you
get a rougher cut than nose down, because you're lifting the fibers.

One of the things people do to protect themselves is to round the skew,
providing some clearance for the otherwise unnoticed uninvolved edge.
Makes it much less a planer, though, so unless you have a good roughing
gouge technique, I'd tough out the learning process.

After twenty or so years perhaps you'll be where I am, wondering why in the
H*ll you bother.

Jeff August 24th 05 01:34 PM

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

LOL. I believe I've already reached that point, rather from ignorance and
frustration than from extensive experience. My primary interest is bowls,
platters, and hollow forms, with which I've had some degree of success to
date. But I decided that I'd better learn to do between-centers work if I
ever aspire to be a complete woodturner. I've been attempting to learn the
skew and roughing gouge on dry ash branches. I may see if I can collect
some wet soft wood branches--we almost always have trees being trimmed or
cut down in this area--for learning purposes. Overall I believe it is my
*patience* that need the most work, however.

Thanks for all your kind assistance, George. And to all the others as well.

Jeff

mac davis August 24th 05 06:25 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:34:22 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...

[...]

Jeff... I can't tell you about technique, but I have a lot of experience with
impatience...

It's taken me years to learn to do 2 things:

When it stops being fun, go do something else for an hour or so.. your
subconscious will be working on it and will bring you back to the project with a
better mind set..

When I was "younger", I was always in a hurry to finish things.. if a step
involved waiting for something, I'd skip it..
Now, when I'm up against something like glue setting or a finish drying, I go
play on the computer, mow the lawn, beat the grand kids, whatever.. just to
force myself to wait... as a reformed control freak, it's been an uphill
battle.. lol

I really haven't learned patience as much as the ability to recognize my
impatience and deal with it.. group hugs help, too.. *g*

Derek Andrews August 24th 05 07:29 PM

Jeff wrote:
I've been attempting to learn the
skew and roughing gouge on dry ash branches. I may see if I can collect
some wet soft wood branches--we almost always have trees being trimmed or
cut down in this area--for learning purposes.

Dry ash is about the worst choice you could make, being quite hard and
of coarse texture.

Wet softwood will be easier to cut. There will be less force on the
tool, so it should be easier for you to control the tools and to get a
feel of what is going on at the cutting edge and gain some empathy with
the cut.

If you find that the softwood has a tendency to tear, which it might,
you could also look for some green fruit woods, such as apple or cherry.
They are a good compromise between being soft enough to cut easily, but
dense enough to take a reasonable finish. Moreover, their density is
quite uniform, whereas many softwoods have quite distinct early and late
growth.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

TEK August 24th 05 09:36 PM

[quote=Jeff]"George" George@least wrote in message
...[color=blue][i]

"Jeff" wrote in message
k.net...[color=green][i]

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Having spent only about half an hour with a skew, I'm convinced it is
worthless. Of course this assessment can mean only one thing: I have no
idea how to use a skew. I can get a reasonably smooth cylinder, but
attempting to face endgrain or to make beads has been less than
successful. Raffan makes it look sooo easy. Could my skew be ground
wrong? It is very sharp, but has some hollow aspect to the bevels. Is
it absolutely necessary to hone the bevels until you've got some flats on
them? And would I be better off with a slightly curved edge, rather than
a straight one?"
Sometimes Raffan works so fast in his tapes it is hard to pick up what he is doing! You have to watch him like a hawk and then back up the tape and watch him again. Alan Lacer is a little easier to follow. If you can get his Tape or DVD, "The Skew Chisel" I think you will find it easier to follow. Cut some Pine or Fir 2x4's up unto 2x2's and practice on them. The softwoods show tearout from poor technique, are cheap, and good to practice on. Mike Darlow's 2 DVD set "Practice of Woodturning" is a good resource too. It's $69.95 from Packard Tools, but maybe your library or woodturning club as a copy. Luckily the Woodtuning club I belong to has one in the library. There is over 7 hours of viewing in those 2 DVD's. You only need to hone the burr off of the skew. Don’t worry about the flats. I have the Veritas Skew grinding jig and find it helpful in getting a consistent bevel. That jig makes an edge with a curve. If you prefer the straight grind do not get the jig. I also prefer to use my large skew (1 1/8” P&N) whenever possible. I think it’s easier to control than the small one (1/2” Crown). I use the small one where I can’t get the big one in. The big one was intimidating when I first started using it and now it’s my favorite.
Tom

Jeff August 25th 05 05:29 AM

"mac davis" wrote in message

[...]

My impatience is innate, and I, too, struggle with it. Skew chisels have
become my nemesis. They leave such a lovely surface when used correctly,
and catch all too frequently. I've even put a slight radius on my larger
skew--I'll try that for a while and see if it eliminates some of the
catches. If not I'll straighten it out again.

It's difficult to see DVDs of pro turners using skews with the same skill I
possess with a fork when feeding my face and not get impatient. I too
recognize my impatience while being generally unable to eliminate it.
(sigh)

Jeff

Jeff August 25th 05 05:33 AM

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:
[...]

I've suspected that ash is probably not the best wood on which to learn the
skew. But I have so darned much of it, and I also concluded that if I could
master the skew on dry ash I could use it on almost anything. Faulty
reasoning, probably. Sadly I chose to forego taking some branches from my
neighbor's apple tree, which he just cut down last week.

Jeff