Andy McArdle

Default Advice on inlay... Corian? (and a bonus waffle)

It has been an expensive day and I don't want to ruin what I have to show
for it...

In a reply yesterday about one of my projects I was reminded I had some
American Walnut curing out in the back shed, so first thing this morning
before starting work I checked the MC and decided it was about ready.
Naturally, just to be sure, I threw a piece between centres and roughed it
down, resulting in a piece that was roughly pestle shaped. The grain looked
good, so I gave it a quick touch with the skew to give it better form and
make the grain more visible. Naturally I couldn't leave it like that, I had
to clean it up and give it a nice finish. The day was young after all, and
working from home I can start whenever I want.

But what good is a pestle without a mortar to use it in? A quick rummage
thru my prepped blanks (didn't have time to dilly-dally, I had paying jobs
to finish!) and found a suitably sized piece of West Aussie Lace She-Oak.
Now this blank still had the price-tag attached and it cost enough that I
couldn't rush through the job... such a nice piece of wood deserved a bit
of care and attention. Took my time on turning the form then lavished great
care on the finish.

Stood back to admire my work and realised that the finish on the pestle
looked a bit second-rate in comparison. That won't do! As it had been
spindle turned I decided to make a couple of jam-chucks to fit each end so I
could chuck-mount it and refinish. Decided the form also didn't quite meet
the mark, so a quick reshape before doing the finish again et voila! A
beautiful American Walnut & WA Lace She-oak pestle & mortar. I think I done
meself proud.

A look at the clock and... 2PM?!! Is the clock broken? No, the second
hands ticking... Hell, I'm going to have to really push it to finish
fitting out the MDF (ugh!) cabinet I'm supposed to be working on today. A
wistful glance at the lathe and... well I guess I /could/ try and squeeze
the damned box into tomorrow's schedule... and I really do need a few more
blanks readied and bowls roughed out...

As I said at the start, all in all it has been an expensive day. Not in
outlay, in income. But it was honestly worth every minute!

Now, having bored you with a blow-by-blow account of my day, I've a couple
of questions. I *think* the two woods are sufficiently durable for regular
use in the kitchen but I'm not sure. I really don't want to ruin such an
"expensive" bit of kit. Comments anyone? I'm wondering if I should drill
out the base of the mortar and/or the business end of the pestle and add an
inlay of some sort.

Corian maybe? I'm thinking Arctic Snowflake (white flecks through a cream
matrix) but, again, I'm not sure whether it is hard enough or even if it's
any harder than the timbers I've used. I normally only use corian for
effect, not function. Does anybody have any ideas on this?
--

Shall I shut up now? __o ,-_|\_o_
X/\/ \\\)

Andrew Barss

Andy McArdle wrote:

: But what good is a pestle without a mortar to use it in? A quick rummage
: thru my prepped blanks (didn't have time to dilly-dally, I had paying jobs
: to finish!) and found a suitably sized piece of West Aussie Lace She-Oak.

I've read here and elsewhere that some people have a really bad allergic
reaction to she-oak, at least to its dust -- not sure about the timber.
Are you sure you want to use it in food contact, particularly where you'll
be grinding stuff in it?

-- Andy Barss