Default Metal or Wood Lathe in home shop?

Just wondering how many of you experienced turners out there started
out or are using a small metal lathe rather than a min wood lathe to
make small turnings like pens, peppermills, etc.?

I'm thinking of playing around with turning stuff like this, and have
used metal lathes over the years, and wondered if there was a drawback
other than the dust ? For instance, a little Unimat or Atlas metal
lathes should be able to turn pens... right?

Pros and Cons?
Dan Bollinger

Just wondering how many of you experienced turners out there started
out or are using a small metal lathe rather than a min wood lathe to
make small turnings like pens, peppermills, etc.?

I'm thinking of playing around with turning stuff like this, and have
used metal lathes over the years, and wondered if there was a drawback
other than the dust ? For instance, a little Unimat or Atlas metal
lathes should be able to turn pens... right?

Pros and Cons?

If you plan to make small items of wood and metal parts then a metal lathe
is the way to go. The trick is going to be making a tool rest for hand held
wood turning tools that is satisfactory. I can imagine an attachement you
could have welded up that you clamp to the cross slide.

I would not get one of the original Unimats unless it is their Maximat. Any
of the Sherline or little countertop lathes should work for you.

Dan

Arch

My opinion , and it's just that, altho I own both types, is if you
already have a small metal lathe use it for small wood turnings, but
don't buy one for pens & peppermills. You will probably want to turn
bowls etc. soon. Someone will mention that many successful woodturners
use metal lathes, but IMO a small metal lathe compromises the easy
moving about of the banjo and tailstock with camlocks, so desirable in
the freehand techniques of woodturning. Usable wood lathes and turning
tools are available at much less cost than tooling up for even a small
engine lathe.

IOW, It's true that you can turn wood better on a metal lathe than metal
on a wood lathe... but if the majority of your intended work is on wood,
buy a wood lathe. You wont be sorry.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

william_b_noble

I agree with Arch - I have one of each, and I would be very reluctant to
use the metal lathe for woodworking - maybe some specific operation
(threading comes to mind), but not general work. For one thing, a metal
lathe has cutting oil all over the place, and cutting oil plus wood dust
makes a really gloppy mess that clogs up the lathe - I know this because the
metal lathe I bought came from a guy who used it to make pool cues.