robo hippy

Default Diesel treatment for burl

I am going to look at some Myrtle burl today that some woman wants to
sell. Her father, had treated it with diesel fuel, which she said is an
old logger's trick. I have never heard of this. I know how the bugs
love myrtle, and left outside for a year or two, the wood would be
worthless. Would this cause problems with finishing? I don't think that
I would like to eat out of a bowl that had been treated with diesel.
Any comments would help. I really don't need the wood, but......
robo hippy

George

"robo hippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to look at some Myrtle burl today that some woman wants to
sell. Her father, had treated it with diesel fuel, which she said is an
old logger's trick. I have never heard of this. I know how the bugs
love myrtle, and left outside for a year or two, the wood would be
worthless. Would this cause problems with finishing? I don't think that
I would like to eat out of a bowl that had been treated with diesel.
Any comments would help. I really don't need the wood, but......
robo hippy

Mineral oil? Probably only on the surface to slow moisture loss. I
wouldn't refuse it, but I would turn it down.

mac davis

On Wed, 25 May 2005 10:35:32 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

"robo hippy" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am going to look at some Myrtle burl today that some woman wants to
sell. Her father, had treated it with diesel fuel, which she said is an
old logger's trick. I have never heard of this. I know how the bugs
love myrtle, and left outside for a year or two, the wood would be
worthless. Would this cause problems with finishing? I don't think that
I would like to eat out of a bowl that had been treated with diesel.
Any comments would help. I really don't need the wood, but......
robo hippy

Mineral oil? Probably only on the surface to slow moisture loss. I
wouldn't refuse it, but I would turn it down.

was that pun intentional, George? lmao

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
robo hippy

Well, it must have been sprayed a long time ago. It had been stored
outside for a while in our Pacific North Wet weather and the bugs were
dining well. Heavy sigh!
robo hippy

Andy Dingley

On 25 May 2005 07:24:45 -0700, "robo hippy"
wrote:

Her father, had treated it with diesel fuel, which she said is an
old logger's trick.

I hope you beat the price down. It makes finishing very difficult.

I've used walnut for firewood because someone had done this to it.