Ken Grunke

Default skewchigouge

Can anyone say that word fast even just 5 times?
I have a hard enough time saying it once.

Anyway, I've found it to be a very useful all-around tool.
I just wish there was another name for it!
I'd call mine a spoontip, what other names are out there?

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/

Patriarch

Ken Grunke wrote in
:

Can anyone say that word fast even just 5 times?
I have a hard enough time saying it once.

Anyway, I've found it to be a very useful all-around tool.
I just wish there was another name for it!
I'd call mine a spoontip, what other names are out there?

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/

Any web-pointers on how to sharpen these gems? I'm in the process of shop-
making a few, based on a quick group lesson this week, but missed the
detail on the grind profiles.

Patriarch,
new to this turning thing, but learning quickly...
Member

Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Thumbs up

[QUOTE/QUOTE]

Why worry about the name? The tool does work and the name says it all, it is a skew, it is a scraper and it is a gouge. More significantly it was designed by a turner who knows what we want. My only gripe is that the sharpening instructions are pants.

Ken Grunke

Patriarch wrote:
Ken Grunke wrote in
:

Can anyone say that word fast even just 5 times?
I have a hard enough time saying it once.

Anyway, I've found it to be a very useful all-around tool.

Any web-pointers on how to sharpen these gems? I'm in the process of shop-
making a few, based on a quick group lesson this week, but missed the
detail on the grind profiles.

Grind the top face to the curvature of your wheel--then you don't have
to take more than half the thickness of the shaft away, just keep going
back as you grind the tip.

For shapes, look in your silverware drawer. I have long, gently curved
sides on my main spoongouge for shear-scraping the inside of small
hollow forms. The tip is rounded off to a radius of probably 1/16".

I have a pretty steep, keen bevel on the end, but it gets blunter around
to the sides. Don't think much about that when grinding, I just swing
the tool around from the tip and twirl it a bit as I grind the bevel on
each side.

It's basically a tool that designs itself as you use it--you grind it to
suite your particular purposes.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/

Patriarch

Ken Grunke wrote in
:

Patriarch wrote:
Ken Grunke wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks, Ken. As I'm a visual learner, the pointer about the silverware
drawer was a good one.

Patriarch
Arch

Hi Patriarch, To shape or sharpen Allan Beecham's original
skewchigouge, you might want to consider the tip's profiles in this
way until you find some web pics.

Ground from round bar stock, from above looking down, the tip's top
surface is broadly round or oval, ie. not pointed.
____________
_shank_______O --tip from above
is more oval

Looking from either side, the tip's upper half is concave and the lower
half has a straight bevel of your choice, like a fingernail gouge or
skew.
_________ distorted
( side elevation
_shank___/ tip tip's upper half