Paul

Default Linux cad software

Hi all,
Does anyone know of any Linux based cad software suitable for
woodturners? I've searched Google but can't find anything suitable.

Paul.
--
Stop wasting wood. Timber doesn't grow on trees you know!
WillR

Paul wrote:
Hi all,
Does anyone know of any Linux based cad software suitable for
woodturners? I've searched Google but can't find anything suitable. Any
help would be very much appreciated.

Paul.

I found this -- you probably know about it.
http://www.linuxcad.com/

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
WillR

Paul wrote:
Hi all,
Does anyone know of any Linux based cad software suitable for
woodturners? I've searched Google but can't find anything suitable. Any
help would be very much appreciated.

Paul.

Forgot VariCad -- it has a trial download
http://www.varicad.com/

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Shawn Wilson

Hi,

I don't know exactly what you want, but I've made a 2d/3d flash file for
helping to visualize turnings. It's not finished yet, but if you like
you can view it he
http://www.glassgiant.com/misc_virtual_lathe.swf

The load and save options don't work yet and they probably won't anytime
soon, but print works. And there aren't any instructions yet - just
move your mouse around the bottom of the black square. When you have a
cutaway of the shape you want, click the 3d button.

Shawn

Paul wrote:

Hi all,
Does anyone know of any Linux based cad software suitable for
woodturners? I've searched Google but can't find anything suitable.

Paul.
--
Stop wasting wood. Timber doesn't grow on trees you know!

WillR

Paul wrote:
Hi all,
Does anyone know of any Linux based cad software suitable for
woodturners? I've searched Google but can't find anything suitable. Any
help would be very much appreciated.

Paul.

One more issue. If you have tested software or already know what CAD
program or style of CAD is not suitable -- let us know. It saves time.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Kevin Miller

Paul wrote:
Hi all,
Does anyone know of any Linux based cad software suitable for
woodturners? I've searched Google but can't find anything suitable. Any
help would be very much appreciated.

Paul.

SuSE includes qcad, http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html, and pythoncad,
http://www.pythoncad.org/. Can't comment on their functionality, but
may be worth a look.

Tried running Turbocad under wine?

HTH...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Paul

Many thanks for all the replys. I was after opensource cad progs and
hoping that someone out there had tried some of them. Again, thanks.

Paul.

--
Stop wasting wood. Timber doesn't grow on trees you know!
J. Clarke

WillR wrote:

Paul wrote:
Many thanks for all the replys. I was after opensource cad progs and
hoping that someone out there had tried some of them. Again, thanks.

Paul.

Too bad you had not mentioned that.

FWIW, none of the open source CAD I've tried has seemed very good.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Ken Grunke

Paul wrote:
Hi all,
Does anyone know of any Linux based cad software suitable for
woodturners? I've searched Google but can't find anything suitable. Any
help would be very much appreciated.

Not really a CAD program, but Art of Illusion is a 3D modeling software
written in Java--so it's multi-platform. It's got a "lathe" feature.

http://www.artofillusion.org/

Ken Grunke

WillR

Ken Grunke wrote:
Paul wrote:

Hi all,
Does anyone know of any Linux based cad software suitable for
woodturners? I've searched Google but can't find anything suitable.

Not really a CAD program, but Art of Illusion is a 3D modeling software
written in Java--so it's multi-platform. It's got a "lathe" feature.

http://www.artofillusion.org/

Ken Grunke

News==----
Newsgroups

Look at the "History" page and search for "lathe" It's there.

Thanks for the link -- it does look good I have downloaded it and may
try it.

Does it work on AMD64 Mandrake Linux 10? :-)

I may try it there.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek