Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Antony Gelberg

Default Outside walls

Hi all,

This post may seem ridiculous. I'm currently researching a new boiler
and radiators for my flat. In order to complete the calculations, I
need to know what the construction of the outside walls in my block
is. I haven't got a clue - is there any way that I can make an
educated guess (using your education!)?

Here are some "clues": the block was purpose-built in 1986. It has a
concrete internal structure. The outside is finished in red brick.
Windows are double-glazed with aluminium frames (not sure if they have
thermal breaks - this is something else I need to establish).

Lastly, when I moved in, with all the household paperwork, there was
some sort of certificate saying something like the property had been
built to highly energy-efficient standards, and the heating thermostat
could be left on around 18. (I have found this last point to be
true, and I like it warm!) Naturally I binned the certificate, so
can't quote verbatim.

Antony