DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electrical back box question (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/96473-electrical-back-box-question.html)

Pandora March 25th 05 12:36 AM

Electrical back box question

I want to put two single width (85mm) BS3676 switch plates side-by-side
on a wall.

I understand that a flush-mounting, 35mm deep metal back box is
available which is just a bit bigger than a double width back box and
has a metal strip down the centre of the opening. This strip has
mounting holes so that two 85mm plates can be mounted flush together.

Anybody know who is the manufacturer of this type of back box? Or can
anyone give me a part number and source, please?

Pandora March 25th 05 12:43 AM

Appleby do a plastic version of the product I'm after.

I can't find a metal one, though

Andy Wade March 25th 05 01:29 AM

Pandora wrote:

I understand that a flush-mounting, 35mm deep metal back box is
available which is just a bit bigger than a double width back box and
has a metal strip down the centre of the opening. This strip has
mounting holes so that two 85mm plates can be mounted flush together.

Anybody know who is the manufacturer of this type of back box? Or can
anyone give me a part number and source, please?

Most of the manufacturers have this item in their ranges. For example
MK list no. 887 ZIC dual flush box (also 888 ZIC dividing screen for
dual flush box, for where you need segregation between the two sides).

--
Andy

Gary Cavie March 25th 05 08:43 AM

In article .com, no--
says...
I want to put two single width (85mm) BS3676 switch plates side-by-side
on a wall.

I understand that a flush-mounting, 35mm deep metal back box is
available which is just a bit bigger than a double width back box and
has a metal strip down the centre of the opening. This strip has
mounting holes so that two 85mm plates can be mounted flush together.

Anybody know who is the manufacturer of this type of back box? Or can
anyone give me a part number and source, please?

You should be able to get this from any decent electrical wholesaler, and
probably even B&Q. Most of the manufacturers make them - the only thing
to watch out for is that some of them are only spaced for standard white
accessories, and if you want to fit some of the decorative plates, they
will overlap at the edges. The Appleby ones that I use have a wider
centre strip which helps overcome this, but then has the downside that
for white plates there is a small gap between them! If you fill / plaster
over the box before fitting the plates though, this is a doddle to
overcome.

Dave Plowman (News) March 25th 05 09:32 AM

In article .com,
Pandora wrote:
Anybody know who is the manufacturer of this type of back box? Or can
anyone give me a part number and source, please?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Dual_Boxes/index.html

Known as dual boxes. Any electrical wholesaler should have them. Maybe
even a bigger B&Q.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

dIMM March 25th 05 03:13 PM

i think screwfix may do these
check out ref no d48234

looks like they put the wrong picture on this product

things i do for you people......you'll be asking for me to come round and
fix it next......

well it all depends upon whether my mum will let me out or not after my
teatime.....

Dave Plowman (News) March 25th 05 03:22 PM

In article ,
dIMM wrote:
well it all depends upon whether my mum will let me out or not after my
teatime.....

I'd have thought nurse more appropriate.............

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Owain March 25th 05 07:45 PM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
dIMM wrote:
well it all depends upon whether my mum will let me out or not after my
teatime.....

I'd have thought nurse more appropriate.............

wardress ....

Owain