Nodge

Default Finishing laminate floor to tiled wall

I've just laid a new laminate floor in the bathroom and I was wondering what
is the best way to deal with gap between the floor and the tiled wall.
Normally you would just pin a length of wood coloured mdf moulding to the
skirting board. But what to do in the bathroom. Can you get white mdf
moulding? And how would you fix it to the wall - silicon sealant perhaps? I
thought about just filling the gap with white silcone sealant but the gap is
pretty uneven.
Any suggests much appreciated.
Nodge

[news]

Nodge wrote:
I've just laid a new laminate floor in the bathroom and I was wondering what
is the best way to deal with gap between the floor and the tiled wall.
Normally you would just pin a length of wood coloured mdf moulding to the
skirting board. But what to do in the bathroom. Can you get white mdf
moulding? And how would you fix it to the wall - silicon sealant perhaps? I
thought about just filling the gap with white silcone sealant but the gap is
pretty uneven.
Any suggests much appreciated.
Nodge

buy some laminate edging strip. £9.99 for a 2.4m length in B&Q

RT

John Stumbles

[news] wrote:
Nodge wrote:

I've just laid a new laminate floor in the bathroom and I was wondering what
is the best way to deal with gap between the floor and the tiled wall.
Normally you would just pin a length of wood coloured mdf moulding to the
skirting board. But what to do in the bathroom. Can you get white mdf
moulding? And how would you fix it to the wall - silicon sealant perhaps? I
thought about just filling the gap with white silcone sealant but the gap is
pretty uneven.
Any suggests much appreciated.
Nodge

buy some laminate edging strip. £9.99 for a 2.4m length in B&Q

And gripfill to wall. Solvent-based is stronger but smelly & grey, brown
or pink and a bugger to clean up. 'Non-solvent' (i.e. water-based) is
white and can be wiped off more easily before it sets, so makes a nicer
finish where it squishes out.
Mark P

Nodge wrote:
I've just laid a new laminate floor in the bathroom and I was

wondering what
is the best way to deal with gap between the floor and the tiled

wall.
Normally you would just pin a length of wood coloured mdf moulding to

the
skirting board. But what to do in the bathroom. Can you get white mdf
moulding? And how would you fix it to the wall - silicon sealant

perhaps? I
thought about just filling the gap with white silcone sealant but the

gap is
pretty uneven.
Any suggests much appreciated.
Nodge

I had something similar alhough I still had a skirting (the shame I
hunted round at B&Q and could find short (2m?) lengths of white ones.
Being a cheapskate I thought these a bit pricy and went for a wander. I
got to the uPVC door/cladding section and found they had longer (3m?)
lengths of uPVC quarter round beading (for doors I presume) this was
cheaper at ~=A31.50 per length and I thought, "I'll never need to paint
it" - another added bonus. As I still had skirting I banged a few small
polytop nails in and bob's yer uncle. In your situation, white silicone
might to the job *and* fill the gaps in the grout lines where they meet
the beading. Failing that maybe "no more nails" or one of the better
ones referred to on this group whose names escape me.

HTH

Mark P

Christian McArdle

Normally you would just pin a length of wood coloured mdf moulding to the
skirting board.

Personally, I hate those mouldings. I put a bit of laminate in my last
house. However, I ensured that I removed skirtings before laying the floor
and installed new skirtings to cover the expansion gap. Exactly the same
method was used in the bathroom.

The bathroom was fully tiled, but it did look much better with proper
skirtings and covings. Having tiles meet the floor with no skirting looks
mean, IMHO.

Christian.

Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
Normally you would just pin a length of wood coloured mdf moulding to the
skirting board.

Personally, I hate those mouldings.

So do I - and they reduce the floor area by a surprisingamount.

I put a bit of laminate in my last
house. However, I ensured that I removed skirtings before laying the floor
and installed new skirtings to cover the expansion gap.

That's the ideal but I get the impression that the OP doesn't have skirting
in his bathroom.

Nor do we.

The bathroom was fully tiled, but it did look much better with proper
skirtings and covings. Having tiles meet the floor with no skirting looks
mean, IMHO.

Ours just looks original - which it is! It's neither a practical nor
aesthetic problem.

Do you have skirting in your awning ? ;-)

Mary

Christian McArdle

That's the ideal but I get the impression that the OP doesn't have
skirting
in his bathroom.

Nor did I until I put some in when doing the laminate.

Do you have skirting in your awning ? ;-)

No idea, I won't be picking it up from the caravan hire place until
August...

Christian.

Mary Fisher

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
That's the ideal but I get the impression that the OP doesn't have

skirting
in his bathroom.

Nor did I until I put some in when doing the laminate.

Do you have skirting in your awning ? ;-)

No idea, I won't be picking it up from the caravan hire place until
August...

I think that would be a style statement too far :-)

Mary

Christian.

Christian McArdle

Do you have skirting in your awning ? ;-)

No idea, I won't be picking it up from the caravan hire place until
August...

I think that would be a style statement too far :-)

I'll stop off at B&Q on the drive down. I'm sure the hire company will
appreciate the modification. I'm sure it could use some halogen
downlighters, too. LV types, of course. No need for transformers...

Christian.

Andrew McKay

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:08:41 GMT, "Nodge" wrote:

I've just laid a new laminate floor in the bathroom and I was wondering what
is the best way to deal with gap between the floor and the tiled wall.
Normally you would just pin a length of wood coloured mdf moulding to the
skirting board. But what to do in the bathroom. Can you get white mdf
moulding? And how would you fix it to the wall - silicon sealant perhaps? I
thought about just filling the gap with white silcone sealant but the gap is
pretty uneven.

White MDF mouldings are available, I think Wickes do some.

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

Plastic Laminate Backsplash Meets Ceramic Tile Wall with Calk Nehmo Sergheyev Home Repair 3 February 22nd 05 03:54 PM
Rain seeping inside through concrete block wall above grade (Warning: LONG explanation) Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 9 September 8th 04 02:43 AM
Survey on laminate flooring options (15 seconds!) Tim UK diy 4 July 27th 04 12:53 AM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited jeff Home Ownership 1 August 20th 03 12:06 AM