DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   I2C vs. SMBus (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/96273-i2c-vs-smbus.html)

Graeme March 23rd 05 11:46 AM

I2C vs. SMBus

Are there actually any differences between these two?

Graeme March 23rd 05 11:47 AM

"Graeme" wrote in message
.co.uk...
Are there actually any differences between these two?

Pants! Wrong group. Sorry.

Adrian C March 23rd 05 03:16 PM

Graeme wrote

http://www.mcc-us.com/I2CSMBusFAQ.htm

--
Adrian C

Graeme March 23rd 05 03:43 PM

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Graeme wrote
Are there actually any differences between these two?

Pants! Wrong group. Sorry.

http://www.mcc-us.com/I2CSMBusFAQ.htm

Thanks for the link. It is what I observed from the datasheets that I have.
I just wondered if there was anything specific/subtle that I have to look
out for.

Once again uk.diy outperforms the proper newsgroup.

Tim Mitchell March 23rd 05 05:09 PM

In article . uk, Graeme
writes
"Adrian C" wrote in message
Graeme wrote
Are there actually any differences between these two?
Pants! Wrong group. Sorry.

http://www.mcc-us.com/I2CSMBusFAQ.htm

Thanks for the link. It is what I observed from the datasheets that I have.
I just wondered if there was anything specific/subtle that I have to look
out for.

I think the real reason for the difference is to avoid the Philips
licensing charges on I2C bus. (also there is "TWI" (2 wire interface)
which seems to be identical to I2C)
--
Tim Mitchell

Dave Stanton March 23rd 05 07:13 PM

I think the real reason for the difference is to avoid the Philips
licensing charges on I2C bus. (also there is "TWI" (2 wire interface)
which seems to be identical to I2C)

Sod, I was going to mention that G.

Dave

again
in the future!!

raden March 23rd 05 10:20 PM

In message . uk, Graeme
writes
"Adrian C" wrote in message
Graeme wrote
Are there actually any differences between these two?
Pants! Wrong group. Sorry.

http://www.mcc-us.com/I2CSMBusFAQ.htm

Thanks for the link. It is what I observed from the datasheets that I have.
I just wondered if there was anything specific/subtle that I have to look
out for.

Once again uk.diy outperforms the proper newsgroup.

Sorry, what proper newsgroup ?

--
geoff

Graeme March 24th 05 12:38 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message . uk, Graeme
writes
"Adrian C" wrote in message
Graeme wrote
Are there actually any differences between these two?
Pants! Wrong group. Sorry.

http://www.mcc-us.com/I2CSMBusFAQ.htm

Thanks for the link. It is what I observed from the datasheets that I

have.
I just wondered if there was anything specific/subtle that I have to look
out for.

Once again uk.diy outperforms the proper newsgroup.

Sorry, what proper newsgroup ?

Ordinarily I'd post a question like this to one of the electronics groups.
But I must admit that the contributors to uk.diy have such a wide range of
skills, that there probably isn't any point with the sci. groups ;-)

raden March 24th 05 10:19 PM

In message . uk, Graeme
writes
"raden" wrote in message
In message . uk, Graeme
writes
"Adrian C" wrote in message
Graeme wrote
Are there actually any differences between these two?
Pants! Wrong group. Sorry.

http://www.mcc-us.com/I2CSMBusFAQ.htm

Thanks for the link. It is what I observed from the datasheets that I

have.
I just wondered if there was anything specific/subtle that I have to look
out for.

Once again uk.diy outperforms the proper newsgroup.

Sorry, what proper newsgroup ?

Ordinarily I'd post a question like this to one of the electronics groups.
But I must admit that the contributors to uk.diy have such a wide range of
skills, that there probably isn't any point with the sci. groups ;-)

Thanks, but the question was largely rhetorical ...

--
geoff