Default Kerto LVL beams

Hi all
Im just starting construction of a small extension [15 square metres]
to my 1974 brick built bungalow.I am installing a sloped roof while Im
at it 10 metres by 7 metres.The architect has specified that the
roof--pyramid shaped--why make it easy-- is built on 4 beams which sit
on the existing dreaded flat roof he has specified failrly substantial
beams all made from 3 300X47 Kerto LVL timber spiked together.
1 What is Kerto LVL timber-does it come from outer space?
2 What is spiked construction--can I do it myself.
PS Many thanks again to all who advised me on replacing my rotten
facias and soffits in plastic--no more peeling paint--total cost =A3800
including Oggee gutters-my Scottish heart gets warm every time I look
at that plastic.

mrcheerful

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all
Im just starting construction of a small extension [15 square metres]
to my 1974 brick built bungalow.I am installing a sloped roof while Im
at it 10 metres by 7 metres.The architect has specified that the
roof--pyramid shaped--why make it easy-- is built on 4 beams which sit
on the existing dreaded flat roof he has specified failrly substantial
beams all made from 3 300X47 Kerto LVL timber spiked together.
1 What is Kerto LVL timber-does it come from outer space?
2 What is spiked construction--can I do it myself.
PS Many thanks again to all who advised me on replacing my rotten
facias and soffits in plastic--no more peeling paint--total cost £800
including Oggee gutters-my Scottish heart gets warm every time I look
at that plastic.

These are basically wooden girder structures. The 'spiked' joints are
presumably cross drilled corner reinforcement. These holes are critical and
factory drilled. Rather like rsjs, you order exact sizes and specify the
joints you need.

Sounds very over the top for a small extension roof that 99 percent of
builders would knock up in a day using 6 by 2 s. on an edge beam of (if you
are lucky) a bit of whatever wood they had lying about. (8 or 10 by 2
possibly)

mrcheerful

tom patton

The architect just specified making holes in the existing flat roof and
connecting via the joists to a made up base as you indicate.
Building control asked for an enginners report on the connection method lo
and behold the Kerto beam design appeared.
Does this mean wherever I see the term--spiked it usually means a predrilled
at factory connection system.

[...]

mrcheerful

"tom patton" wrote in message
. uk...
The architect just specified making holes in the existing flat roof and
connecting via the joists to a made up base as you indicate.
Building control asked for an enginners report on the connection method
lo
and behold the Kerto beam design appeared.
Does this mean wherever I see the term--spiked it usually means a
predrilled
at factory connection system.

Check with building control exactly what he will be happy with. Mostly
things like that are strapped down with steel strapping down the walls
below. (So the whole lot can't blow off in one lump.)

mrcheerful

John Rumm

tom patton wrote:

Does this mean wherever I see the term--spiked it usually means a predrilled
at factory connection system.

IIUC it can just mean timber jointed with bolts through spiked timber
connectors:

Cheers,

John.

tom patton

What are spiked timber connectors?.
I am very concerned about installing kerto material-ie glorified chip board
on my roof---especially since the boards on my garage roof "dissolved"when
the felt failed--replaced with exterior ply.
Will make an apointment to see BCO.

"John Rumm" wrote in message
tom patton wrote:

Does this mean wherever I see the term--spiked it usually means a

predrilled
at factory connection system.

IIUC it can just mean timber jointed with bolts through spiked timber
connectors:

Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

tom patton wrote:

What are spiked timber connectors?.

Erm, you mean the ones like at the link I posted? ;-)

Cheers,

John.

tom patton

Ooops--sorry about that.
I take it these are pressed into predrilled hole locations on both sides of
the beam then the beams are bolted together?.

"John Rumm" wrote in message
tom patton wrote:

What are spiked timber connectors?.

Erm, you mean the ones like at the link I posted? ;-)

Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

tom patton wrote:

Ooops--sorry about that.
I take it these are pressed into predrilled hole locations on both sides of
the beam then the beams are bolted together?.

Nope, they go between the beems not on the outside. Just put the
connector on the bolt between the beams and do it up tight...

The teeth bite into the wood and give you extra resistance to any joint
slide or rotation about the bolt.

On the outside you typically have a square plate washer, like that:

These stop the nut and bolt head from simply pulling into the wood.

In true blue peter tradition, here is one I did earlier:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/rafter.jpg

(that shows the joint between flat roof joists and the front rafters on
my loft conversion (there is a supporting wall just out of frame to the
left that holds the whole thing up!). Each joint is a sandwich of bolt,
plate washer, wood, connector, wood, plate washer, nut).

--
Cheers,

John.

tom patton

Excellent pic Im now ready to get stuck in.
I ve been quoted £9 per metre for my 200x45 Kerto which seems a great deal
for sawdust and glue.
Im the only one that thinks putting chipboard in a roof is a bad idea ie
archi and struct eng are more than happy ah well upwards and onwards.

"John Rumm" wrote in message
tom patton wrote:

[...]

Resawing long beams [email protected] Woodworking 9 February 26th 05 06:07 PM
Wall under beams, advice please [email protected] Woodworking 12 October 30th 04 07:10 PM
Some joists on deck not resting on beams. Problem? Hovercrafters Home Repair 8 June 15th 04 03:24 AM
old black beams DavidD UK diy 4 September 23rd 03 07:25 PM
I beams for shed roof Grunff UK diy 3 July 31st 03 07:29 PM