NotMe

Default Minimum kitchen volume req for open flame gas hob

I was under the impression that as long as a kitchen - regardless whether it
has windows, or not - has a volume of at least 10 m^3, a gas (open flame)
hob can be used there.

I was today given a different advice by a plumber friend (who is not corgi
qualified BTW), who claimed that this was against the building regulations.

My kitchen is 10.3 m^3 (carefully planned to fit), has no windows at all
(just a door into the hall), and I intend to install a gas hob there next
week. I also intend to have a gas combi boiler there, fitted to an external
wall, with the flue going through it to the outside.

Can anyone enlighten me as to my situation? Couldn't find anything
online...

BTW, I am in Scotland if that makes a difference.

TIA.

Lobster

NotMe wrote:
I was under the impression that as long as a kitchen - regardless whether it
has windows, or not - has a volume of at least 10 m^3, a gas (open flame)
hob can be used there.

I was today given a different advice by a plumber friend (who is not corgi
qualified BTW), who claimed that this was against the building regulations.

My kitchen is 10.3 m^3 (carefully planned to fit), has no windows at all
(just a door into the hall), and I intend to install a gas hob there next
week. I also intend to have a gas combi boiler there, fitted to an external
wall, with the flue going through it to the outside.

Can anyone enlighten me as to my situation? Couldn't find anything
online...

Well you obviously didn't check the Font of All Wisdom, the uk.d-i-y
FAQ, did you? :-)

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html

See the Gas fitting section: "...in the case of a gas hob the room in
question must have a door, window or other vent that can be opened
directly to outside air and the room must have a volume of at least 10
cubic metres"

....which I interpret to mean that your plumber's correct, don't you?

David
brugnospamsia

"Lobster" wrote in message
NotMe wrote:
[...]

Presumably if you're fitting a balanced flue you could knock another decent
size hole in the same wall to let some air in - and a cooker hood to let the
stinky stuff out ?

I'm getting claustrophobia just thinking about it ;-)

========================

NotMe

"brugnospamsia" wrote in message
.. .

"Lobster" wrote in message
NotMe wrote:
[...]

That is the plan - the extractor is taking it out through a 4" hole.

Doesn't look very good otherwise - I probably misunderstood the regulations.

Luckily not too much trouble as I can easily change to electric hob, and
wiring for it is already in place. Just prefer to cook on gas rather than
electric.

Any way around this?

mike ring

"NotMe" wrote in :

My kitchen is 10.3 m^3 (carefully planned to fit), has no windows at
all (just a door into the hall), and I intend to install a gas hob
there next week.

I also intend to have a gas combi boiler there,
fitted to an external wall, with the flue going through it to the
outside.

If you have an external wall can't you jst fit a vent - like the @kin great
hole they knocked in me lynge when I had a back boiler fitted

mike

Hugo Nebula

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:25:16 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named
Lobster randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

See the Gas fitting section: "...in the case of a gas hob the room in
question must have a door, window or other vent that can be opened
directly to outside air and the room must have a volume of at least 10
cubic metres"

...which I interpret to mean that your plumber's correct, don't you?

Diagram 3.3 of Approved Doc J (England & Wales only) refers to the
permanently openable vents required in addition to those required for
Part F (Ventilation). As noted in the (AD J) diagram, a kitchen can
be vented with mechanical ventilation only. Make-up air would
normally be provided by, say, a 10mm gap under the door.

So, the plumber, if he's English, is incorrect. However, things may
be different if he's a Scottish plumber.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
NotMe

"Lobster" wrote in message
NotMe wrote:
[...]

An update:

Spoke to the building control officer that deals with my case, and she
informed me that as of 18 months ago they now approve of open-flame gas hobs
in such kitchens, as long as there is a 4" openning to the outside with a
mechanical fan (i.e. standard extractor) in the kitchen, and enough clearing
under the door (say 1cm).

Looks like I managed to scrae it after all ... ;-)

BTW, this only apply to Glasgow.